Equal contributing first authors in author/date styles

I am wondering how to deal with papers that have many (4+) authors and 2 equally contributing first authors when using author-date citation stiles.
I am told the correct way to cite in such a case would be (Author A, Author B et al, 2017)
However, Zotero gives me (Author A et al, 2017)
Is there a way to manually "teach" zotero this kind of metadata?
Or would I have to manually change this in my word document?
  • Generally, no citation styles specify that any sort of special formatting for papers with co-equal authorship. Citations exist for the purpose of making referenced papers findable to the reader, not necessarily to indicate all of the contributions of each author. Indicating co-equal authorship is generally only done in the original article's Author Notes and/or on authors' CVs.

In general, I would not try to change formatting for these types of papers, as that would almost certainly violate the style guide you are using (and would probably end up being changed by the journal's typesetters anyway).
  • .... not writing for a journal, writing a thesis, which at my university means citing according to the "my-boss-likes-this style guide" ;-)

Thanks all the same, I'll bolster your argument with a few examples from journals and use that if/when I get complaints :-)
  • A few questions for your supervisor and a comment:

How is one to tell if the first two authors are coequal? Must one read and interpret the (often absent) contributor-role paragraph in the article? Are you thinking only about papers with only two authors? It probably goes without saying that you should be careful how you question your supervisor. Are the cites to his or her articles? I have noticed throught my long life that when an authority figure in an academic setting makes an unusual, unorthodox demand; the danger of anger and retribution to the questioner of that demand seems to increase with the unusualness of the of the demand's deviation from the norm.

Perhaps, a couple of ways to accomplish this demand: You could make writing style changes to always mention the authors in your text and use "supress author" when entering the citation. Alternately, as the in-text citation and the bibliography entries are handled differently you can consider editing the in-text cites (_after_ you have saved a copy without Zotero codes) to add-in the second author where needed.
  • What subject are you writing your thesis in? And are you at a UK university or another? Simply, no major style guide has this requirement, as citations are primarily aimed at pointing readers to the source. There is no way for Zotero to know when there are co-equal authors. (Such information is also not stored in any bibliographic databases, and it is certainly not anything that is systematized.)

Moreover, this can get really absurd. For example, my CV includes several papers with 3-5 authors who all contributed equally. Should those always be cited with all the authors’ nanes? I also saw the other day a paper with three First authors and two senior/last authors. How should such a paper be cited?

Anyway, hope these can help bolster your argument.