missing gear

I downloaded standalone zotero 5.0 and began using it about a month ago. I kept losing sources after I quit the application so I looked at several video tutorials. I noticed that all the tutorials had a gear for settings and my version did not. Is this normal?
  • The gear icon has been removed in 5.0. You can access the preferences from the Edit menu on Windows/Linux or "Zotero" menu on a Mac.
  • Maybe settings was the wrong word. One video called it an action button, but it was still shaped like a gear, right before the add note tool.
  • Everything is now available in the menus.
  • (@jbleslie : to clarify, those video tutorials are out-of-date — because, as dstillman wrote, this button / gear icon / actions menu has been removed in Zotero 5.0. But you can still access to your "settings", i.e. the "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu on Windows/Linux or "Zotero" menu on a Mac.)
  • I miss the gear. I find Preferences to be so buried now that it's under "Edit", even though it's technically no more buried than it was under the gear icon. If the gear is being removed in order to get away from using icons instead of words in the menu structure, it would be nice to see Preferences given its own menu. #bringbackthegear