Syncing problem after importing an existing Zotero library from a different account.

When I try to sync my library, which I imported from an different account ('account_2') by copying its Zotero folder, Zotero would not sync and instead switch to my existing account ('account_1') and delete the imported library. It says:

"This Zotero library database was last synced with a different account ('account_2') from the current one ('account_1'). If you continue, data associated with the 'account_2' account will be removed from this computer"

How can I sync my library without deleting the newly imported data?
  • edited July 27, 2017
    May there is any better recommendation, but my suggest export items from account_2 and imports them to account_1. Copy folder is not a good way.
  • edited July 27, 2017
    Here's what I said in another thread where this came up:
    It's not currently possible in 5.0 to merge local data from one account into another the way it was in 4.0. If you want to do that, you can either use export/import (though be aware that that will lose any links with word processor documents) or create a group that both accounts belong to and use it to transfer items between the accounts.

We might restore the ability to merge data in this way, but it was often done by accident (even with a warning) and is somewhat problematic technically.
  • Got it, thank you.

Export/import would lose the whole directory structure, which I do not want as I put much effort in organizing the items based on the directory structure.
    Since I deleted the older account already, the second option does not work as well.
    It looks like, I have to live without syncing my library for a while, until there is a better solution. It would be nice if Zotero allowed the users to decide whether they want to merge their data in cases like mine.
  • Export/import would lose the whole directory structure, which I do not want as I put much effort in organizing the items based on the directory structure.
    Zotero RDF export preserves collections.