Zotero crashes after search

This discussion was created from comments split from: Now available: Zotero 5.0.
  • edited July 25, 2017
    I'm pleased that Zotero developers fixed the font mismatch between tags and the rest of Zotero, and so quickly. I'm also pleased that the Zotfile developer posted an update so quickly. Zotfile is a major time-saver for me.

I've noticed one additional problem. I have almost 9000 entries in Zotero. I now notice when I search that I'll get a 'thinking' icon to the left of the search box. Sometimes the 'thinking wheel' never stops spinning after a search, and Zotero crashes. Other times the search response is slower but it eventually resolves. I never used to see this behavior before the upgrade. (I've been using Standalone for a few years now.)
  • The search indicator is different in 5.0 — it used to show a message in the middle pane — but that's purely visual. What do you mean by "crash" here?
  • A 'mild' crash is where the 'thinking wheel' keeps spinning, and the main display greys out and doesn't complete updating the view (i.e. I can see some references that don't pertain to the search). Twice I have had to close and re-start Zotero to rectify this, although it seems that I can actually just click on something else (like a different collection) and it goes back to normal.
    A 'severe' crash is Zotero informing me it has run into a problem and needs to close. I believe this has only happened once.
    I tried to replicate this and it took me a while, so perhaps some stability updates have been made? I eventually got a screenshot of a 'mild' crash if you want to see it.
  • I’ve encountered a few of these “view not updating” bugs, but haven’t been able to replicate. If you can get it to happen consistently, can you submit a Debug ID (https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output) of it happening and then post here?