Can't get Zotero 4.0.29.10 to show up in Word 2016 (16.0.7426, 32-bit) on Windows 10

Hi everyone, I've been at this for an hour and a half, and still can't get Zotero to show up for my default Word 2016 (32-bit) user account on Windows 10.

SHORT STORY:
I can get Zotero working if I open up a file from the Zotero.dotm file in my Word Startup folder, but I can't figure out how to access it from pretty much anywhere else.

LONG STORY:
1. I Installed Zotero Standalone from the Cite page in zotero preferences as per instructions on https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation
2. I opened up Word 2016 File/Options/Customize Ribbon and could not find anything named "Zotero" in "All Commands"
2. I closed Word, reinstalled, and re-started Word as described in https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear
3. I checked, and do have the zotero.dotm file installed: C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\Zotero.dotm
3.1 When I double-click directly on that document, I got a "Zotero" tab. However, if I click
3.2 I Managed to add the Zotero items to the "Quick Access Toolbar" for all documents.
3.3 However, when I create a new document, no Zotero items are shown in the quick access toolbar.
4. I went to "Toolbar does not appear in Word for Windows or is incompatible" https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_for_windows_or_is_incompatible and found nothing that applied to me, so I clicked on "Manually Installing the Zotero Word for Windows Plugin" https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions, ensured that the Zotero.dotm file was in my Word Startup folder; C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzw7sm3v.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install;
4.1 I quit word, and copied the zotero.dotm file into C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP as described, and restarted.
4.2 Nothing in the menu.

Other Information: I noticed a difference in Author between the files:
Zotero Working:
Author = the same name as my ComputerName
Template = Zotero
Zotero not working:
Author = the same name as my Office 365 username.
Template <- There is no "template" property.

• directly opening the Zotero.dotm isn't supposed to work, though it's a good test to make sure that you're looking in the right place.
    If you're positive that the startup folder in which you placed/found the .dotm is Word's actual startup folder (just because it's called STARTUP that needn't be the case -- the manual install instructions have instructions on how to find your Word Startup folder), the next step would be to click on "Document Template" in the "Developer" tab of Word and check if Zotero is checked/selected.
  • edited November 14, 2016
    Thanks adamsmith!

To make this easy for others to find, would you consider adding something like the following to the word processor troubleshooting page?
    In Word 2016, ensure that Zotero.dotm appears in the document template in ribbon->Developer-> Document Template -> Global templates and add-ins. (You may find the Zotero.dotm template file at C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\Zotero.dotm. If not, see manually installing the zotero word for windows plugin). See Microsoft's instructions on how to activate the developer tab in the ribbon."
    Suggested locations:
    - underneath All Plugins/Platforms 'In Word 2010, please note that the Zotero toolbar is in the "Add-Ins" tab on the ribbon.' or
    - Underneath Toolbar does not appear... under "You may need to manually install the Zotero.dot file into the correct directory." ?

MY STEPS:
    5.1 I verified that the startup location is correct as found in https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#locating_your_word_startup_folder / "Word 2007 or later" by clicking on Word 2016->File/Options/Advanced/General/File Locations.../Startup by clicking "Modify" and copying the filepath:
    C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP = C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
    5.2 I checked the "show developer" in Word 2016 -> File/Options/Customize Ribbon/Customize the Ribbon / Main Tabs / Developer
    (Note: this step was already done, but I'm adding it in here for others who may not have done this)
    5.3 I clicked on Developer/Document Templates/Global templates and add-ins/Add, as no templates were "currently loaded"
    5.4 I selected "Zotero" from C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates (NOTE: I had previously copied C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\Zotero.dotm to C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates)

Outcome:
    1. The "Zotero" tab appeared in the doucment I was working in.
    2. The Zotero tab is still there when I create a new document
    3. The Zotero tab has appeared in all other open documents, including ones in which it was previously unavailable.

• What about Word 2011?
  • C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP gives me the message - "this is not a valid path name. I cannot Add citations to my Word document. PLEASE HELP! I have an assignment due in a few hours and this problem is causing me to waste SO MUCH TIME!!!
  • drjrob: Start a new thread, provide a Report ID, and explain what the problem is.