Using zotero://select for external program links

I have been searching the forums and have found several threads about requests for integration between Zotero and external programs.

Examples:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6735/protocol-handler-for-zotero/
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8306/testing-zoteroselect/
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15790/html-link-to-open-zotero-and-a-specific-document/
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1286/freemind/

I think there is a need for the ability to reference individual Zotero items from an external source using a URL. I am aware of the ability to 1)Generate a report on an item, 2)copy the URL of the report into the URL field of the external program, 3) edit the report link from zotero://report/items/0_[identifier]/html/report.html to zotero://select/items/0_[identifier]/. However, when I do this on my own setup (Win7 64), I get the standalone Zotero 3.0b21 client coming up without any item selected, whether I have Zotero active in Firefox 7.0.1 or not.

To be more concise, what I (and others too apparently) would like would be to have the ability to call a URL link to a specific item in the Zotero database and select it when clicked on from an external program or shortcut. I know that it is only the attachments that get their own directory structure and that the items themselves are stored in a database, but surely someone could come up with a way to allow this kind of integration with Zotero for other programs without a need to come up with specific data transfer methods on a case-by-case method per program using the existing zotero://select method? It would allow use of Zotero for what it does best in tracking references and bibliographic information, while allowing use of other programs to run parallel in conjunction with it in the way that is most beneficial to the user.

Would this be possible?
  • Are you trying to say that

1) There is something wrong with the current approach used in the zotero protocol handler

or

2) There is a bug in the current beta and the protocol handling does not work
  • I have not seen anything on how the zotero protocol handler is intended to operate, so I am not sure if what I am asking for is outside of the scope of what it is designed to do. I'm techie, but I'm not a programmer.

And since information is sparse as to how zotero://select is intended to function, but it does not appear to work in my 3.0 versions, there may be a bug report that eventually will need to be filed. But without knowing what it is designed for and whether I am exceeding the design parameters in what I am trying to accomplish, I don't know whether to go down the line for feature enhancement or bug report.
  • I have done some further experimenting. I have uninstalled Zotero Standalone 3.0b2 and am using output from the ZotSelect translator that creates a URL with the zotero://select/identifier information in a hyperlink within the html file. I have taken that url and copied it into PersonalBrain 6 as an attachment, which it associates as a web page and should attempt to open the default browser (FireFox) and pass the string to it, which (in theory) Zotero should receive and use it to select the item being referenced in the string. It is not doing that (nothing happens after clicking the link in PB even with FireFox/Zotero running). Zotero is not being called to receive the information from the URL. I don't know how this is supposed to work, but it doesn't appear to be working in the builds of Firefox/Zotero that I have.

I also attempted to create a desktop shortcut with a link to zotero://select//0_KTRJFIBP. It creates a New Internet Shortcut on the desktop, but when I click on it, it says "Application Not Found." It appears to be having a problem knowing what to do with the Zotero part of the URL. Is someone who knows what is going on here able to explain what the situation is? Maybe we can get this addressed in the right way as a bug or a feature request. Is this working as (currently) designed?

Thanks!
  • if you copy the zotero://select URL into FFs URL bar (with Zotero installed) - does Zotero open to the item in question? Then it's working as intended.
    For opening a Zotero item from outside FF, see the first of the threads you link to regarding registering zotero:// as a protocol (for windows - instructions for mac and linux would have to be googled).

Someone more knowledgeable would have to say whether it would be possible for Zotero to register that protocol with the operating system, but intuitively I'd be skeptical - since you don't need an admin account to install Zotero I don't think it can change these types of settings.
  • Pasting the zotero://select URL into FF does open to the item in question. It also opens a new blank tab in FF - it would be nice to know how to avoid this, but it isn't a huge deal.

I followed the instructions for registering zotero:// as a protocol. The regedits I used for Win7 that worked for me (not calling the standalone version of Zotero, but FireFox instead) are:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zotero]
    @="URL:zotero"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zotero\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zotero\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zotero\shell\open\command]
    @="\"[full path to firefox.exe on your computer]\firefox.exe" \"%1\""

After this, links from within PersonalBrain and shortcuts from the desktop did work to bring up Zotero and select the appropriate item. So other than the issue of a new tab being created each time the protocol is called, I'd say this issue is closed.
  • edited February 27, 2012
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and experimenting with Zotero for sometime. Great app! Now trying to use it seriously for my personal researches. An important need for me is to be able to easily link to Zotero's items from outside (from windows shortcuts and other applications).

I've read very quickly the post above and ones cited by wjclerk, so sorry if this question was clarified somewhere. My problem is:

Zotero protocol seems to be already registered with Windows, since a shortcut within the format {zotero://select//0_[item identifier]} from a windows folder or other application calls sucessfully Zotero application, but its main window instead of opening the specified item. The same occurs when opening through Firefox 9.x or 10.x.

My machine config is:
    Windows 7 home 64bits + Zotero 3.03 standalone (installed over a 2.x running over Firefox) and Firefox 10.x.

Anyone has idea about what's going on?

I`ll be interested about other possible methods or sugestions.

I`d also like to know from Zotero`s team if there any plans/timeframe for this feature become available in the UI (for example, something like "Copy URL link" when right-clicking over an item).

wjclerk: I also use Personal Brain, amazing piece of software! Your post gave me some hope about linking to zotero's items from PB...

Would be much apreciated if you or anyone else can share some of your insights/workflows about integration of Zotero and PB.
    Maybe i should create a new thread for this last subject, please advise me if this is the case.

Thanks in advance,

Wolf
  • I'd also appreciate something like "Copy URL link" when right-clicking over an item.
  • I observed an inconsistent behavior with the zotero protocol handler in the stand-alone version when executed from the windows shell: Start -> Run -> zotero://select/items/0_[id]/

If the stand-alone version is already running the item will get selected correctly.

However, if the stand-alone executable is not running, the protocol handler will only start the program and the item is NOT selected.

Is this a bug or expected behavior?
  • edited July 20, 2017
    These zotero://select/items/0_[id]/ links were working on zot5 beta (it was possible to open a zot entry from MS Word and others apps).

But since I switched back to the stable version (zot5.0.4), it doesnt work anymore. The link only work within zotero app, but not from outside.

Hopefully this great feature will be soon implemented in the stable version.
  • edited August 9, 2017
    Upgraded to 5.08 (Windows) and now these links work correctly - Zotero does open with the correct item selected.