Installation of RTF/ODF-Scan add-on unsuccessful

Hi,

I followed the download and installation instructions found in zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan for Zotero Standalone. The Add-ons Manager at Zotero>Tools>Add-ons showed "RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero downloaded."

However, the "RTF Scan" option did not change to "RFT/ODF Scan." I went to Zotero>Tools>Adds-ons again, but the Add-ons Manager no longer shows "RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero downloaded"
---
What's the solution to this issue?
---
I also followed the download and installation instructions for Zotero for Firefox.
The following message appeared after I clicked zotero-odf-scan-v1.0.33-fx.xpi:

"github.com. Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer."

Then this message appeared after I clicked "Allow:"

"The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure."

This problem was not solved even after I went to Firefox>Security and added https://www.github.com as a site allowed to install add-ons.
---
What's the solution to this issue?
---
Firefox 54.0.1 (64-bit)
Zotero 5.0.4
macOSSierra 10.12.15
  • Hi dstillman,

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/280451/#Comment_280451 solved "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure" issue.
    ---
    However, this other issue remains unsolved:

I followed the download and installation instructions found in zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan for Zotero Standalone. The Add-ons Manager at Zotero>Tools>Add-ons showed "RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero downloaded."

However, the "RTF Scan" option did not change to "RFT/ODF Scan." I went to Zotero>Tools>Adds-ons again, but the Add-ons Manager no longer shows "RTF/ODF Scan for Zotero downloaded."
    ---
    What's your advice?
  • Note that you want to install this into Zotero, not into Firefox, and that you need the beta version https://github.com/Juris-M/zotero-odf-scan-plugin/releases/tag/v1.0.34beta to work with Zotero 5 (the label in the menu may not change -- check if you have an ODF option when you actually go to the scan window)
  • Thanks, adamsmith.
    The download and installation of the beta version was successful.
    After Zotero>Tools>RTF Scan, I see File Types: RTF, ODF (to citations), ODF (to markers).
    ---
    Where do I find the instructions to add citations and bibliography? I'm using Scrivener 2.8.1.2.
  • Yes, that's correctly installed then.
    Instructions are here: https://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/
  • Thanks, adamsmith.
    Sorry to trouble you again.
    After I select Zotero>Preferences>Export tab, the option "Scannable Cite" is not available for selection under "Default Output Format."
    ---
    What's your advice?
  • Have you tried restarting Zotero?
  • Yes; but the issue remains unsolved.
  • I have the same issue. The scan RTF dialog shows the options and it seems the plugin is installed in the add-on dialog, but no scannable cite option under output format. I've restarted zotero, restarted my computer, no remedy.

zotero 5.0.6, macOS 10.12.6,
  • Worked around the problem: I downloaded the zip package from GitHub, found the Scannable Cite.js file, and copied that into the translators folder in the zotero folder. It now shows up, and everything else seems to work from there on except for suppressing the author with a -.
  • Hi haliaetus133.

BIG Thanks for your post.
    I'll try your approach.
  • Hi, same problem as lincolnjloo, but with windows. Running Windows 10 15063.083
    Zotero 5.07 standalone, ODF scan plugin v1.0.34 beta. OpenOffice plugin is active and listed in add-ons tab. RTF tab shows "RTF", "ODF (to citations)", and "ODF (to markers)" as selections.

RTF/ODF Plug-in is listed under the add-ons tab, but RTF/ODF is NOT available to select as default format in the Export tab.

I have reinstalled and restarted Zotero and the plug-ins, and have restarted the computer several times. No luck.

Can I try haliaetus13 workaround of manually copying Scannable Cite.js file into the correct Zotero subfolder? If so, which folder for windows?
  • By default on Zotero 5.0, C://Zotero/translators

Otherwise, open Zotero Preferences. In the Advanced tab, click "Files and Folders", then "Show Data Directory". Then open the "translators" folder.
  • I had the same issue as the commenters above. Was able to resolve using the copy-paste method mentioned above, but just wanted to point out that this is an ongoing issue that still needs to be resolve.

Am using zotero on a windows 10 64bit machine, with the latest version of zotero installed.
  • Yup. Just a bump on this one - same problem. On Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 and Zotero 5.0.55. No 'Scannable Cite' option but was able to remedy it by taking the js file from the zip file and adding to the translators folder. HT to the folk in this thread for the fix.
  • Same problem, but the fix doesn't seem to be working. I close Zotero, paste the Scannable Cite file into the translators folder. Open Zotero, it doesn't show on the Export list, and it disappears from the translators folder. Using a Mac, have uninstalled and reinstalled the add-on.
  • That fix would definitely work. Note that you can just download the .js file directly from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Juris-M/zotero-odf-scan-plugin/master/resource/translators/Scannable Cite.js via right-click --> save link as.
  • Thank you, it worked this time.
This discussion has been closed.