"Unresponsive script" since RC4

As I previously reported (via the built-in "Report Errors" mechanism), running Mac OS X 10.4.10, with Zotero 1.0.0 (and RC4 & RC5), I get an "Unresponsive Script" warning by doing nothing more than launching any Mozilla browser (Firefox 2.0.0.8, Navigator 9.0.0.1, or Flock 1.0RC3).

Flock includes the following address at the bottom of the warning:
"chrome://zetero/content/xp.translate.js:619".

Unless I stop the script, I'm unable to do anything with the browser.

Even with all other add-ons disabled, I continue to get the message.

Changing the value of "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" to "0" (as recommended in the response to an unrelated "Unresponsive script" topic) results in the browser freezing (i.e., the warning is not displayed and a "Force Quit" is required).

The problem does not exist with Zetero RC3. When I revert to that version (with all other add-ons enabled), Zetero runs without problems. (So I'm still running RC3.)
  • Just an update to add this problem continues to exist after upgrading both to Zotero 1.0.1 and the following browsers:
    - Firefox 2.0.0.9
    - Flock 1.0.1
    - Navigator 9.0.0.3

The only way I can use Zotero is to revert to 1.0RC3.
  • Do you get the Zotero upgrade wizard before the unresponsive script warning or just the warning itself? Also, when you have set max_chrome_script_run_time to 0, is there any disk activity?

Also, just FYI, we generally don't look at error reports sent via Report Errors unless a Report ID (provided when the report is submitted) is posted here.
  • Sorry for the delay in responding. Unfortunately, after being so fired up about Zotero when I first started using it, I've pretty much given up on it (since it doesn't work and I got tired of having to get and reinstall RC3 every time). I've just upgraded to 1.0.2 and all of the browsers are at their most recent release (2.0.0.11, 1.0.8, 9.0.0.5).

I'm not sure what the Zotero upgrade wizard is (it sounds like something on a Windows o/s) so I believe the warning just comes up by itself. (The way I upgrade is I select "Add-ons" from the "Tools" menu and then do a "Find updates".)

As far as disk activity with max_chrome_script_run_time set to 0, what I did was set the value, relaunch Flock (since that's the only way I know to restart Zotero since I had to stop the script to be able to do anything else after I start getting the error message—that is, if I respond "OK', rather than "stop script", the error message goes away and a new "unresponsive script" error message pops up). Then I switched to the Activity Monitor to view the Disk Activity graph. After some initial disk activity, there's a read of a small amount of data immediately followed by a write of about three times as much data. Right about that time, the Activity Monitor starts displaying "not responding" for the Flock entry and I'm unable to switch back to Flock so, based on past performance, I assume the unresponsive script error message has come up.
  • P.S. I apologize for not having noticed the e-mail notification of your reply. I was surprised to see a reply here but, in checking, I see I did get a notice back on Nov. 26.
  • Have you tried running your DB through the DB Repair Tool?

I'd try that, and if that doesn't work, e-mail the Upload ID you receive from the tool to us at support@zot....org, and we can take a look at your database and try to figure out what's happening.

Debug output would also be helpful.
  • I've just added Zotero and am now getting the same unresponsive script warnings when I open hotmail in firefox... maybe I'll just use explorer for mail.
  • I am also experiencing an unresponsive script when starting Mozilla Firefox: "Unresponsive script: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js:155". At the same time, I cannot access my zotero library and I get an error saying that I cannot open my library.

I used the DB Repair Tool, but this didn't solve the problem. The only thing that changed was that I can open Zotero. But once Zotero is open, I also receive an error message saying that I cannot access my library. I sent an error report about this.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • In the meantime I solved my problem, though it may not be the ideal solution:

I reset the 'translators and styles' in the Zotero Preferences > Advanced tab.

It may not be an ideal solution for people who have made many changes to their styles and translators, so any suggestions of alternative solutions are still welcome.