API feed URL not working in WordPress

edited July 5, 2017
This discussion was created from comments split from: Embed Zotero bibliography within a web page.
  • Hello all,

I have just installed an RSS/Atom feed plugin on my Wordpress site, created an API feed for one of my Zotero groups, retrieved the API URL (https://api.zotero.org/users/my-user-name/items?key=key-goes-here), and even imported items from the API link into my "Feeds" on the backend of my Wordpress site, but when I publish the feed it reports "No items to display." Further, when I try to validate the API feed, I receive the following validation error:

Sorry

This feed does not validate.
    line 1, column 0: XML parsing error: :1:0: syntax error [help]
    [
    In addition, interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendation.
    Feeds should not be served with the "application/json" media type [help]

Any suggestions?!
  • I'm not sure where you got the feed URL from, but API responses are no longer Atom by default. There are feed URLs available in the sidebar when you view your library online that show the necessary parameters.
  • The API defaults to JSON, you need to specify format=atom in there. Check the feed keys provided at the bottom of your library for examples.