[5.0 Beta] Locate button doesn't work when data directory is missing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • Report ID 1971003846
    Before installing Zotero-5.0-beta.215+2f9306598_setup.exe on Windows 10, I copied my Zotero 4 database to a Zotero5 directory. I renamed my Zotero 4 subdirectory, so that Zotero 5 did not detect a data location upon its initial launch.
    When Zotero 5 did not find the data location, it presented me with a dialog with the options, "Okay", "Locate", and "Use Default".
    - Selecting "Okay" merely closed the program. I would have supposed that Zotero would instead have remained open so that I could access its options and set the data location.
    - Selecting "Locate" also merely closed the program (***HERE'S THE BUG***). I would have expected that Zotero instead would have presented a file directory dialog to allow me to locate and specify the data location.
    - Selecting "Use Default" was the only option that did not shut down Zotero. It used the default location %USERPROFILE%\Zotero\. I then went into Zotero Preferences to set the data location to the correct directory for Zotero 5.
  • Thanks — I can reproduce this. We'll fix it for the next build.
  • Selecting "Okay" merely closed the program. I would have supposed that Zotero would instead have remained open so that I could access its options and set the data location.
    Changed to "Quit". (Without a data directory, Zotero can't open, so the only other relevant settings are the two other buttons in the dialog.)
  • Sweet. That eliminates my confusion.
  • This bug still occurs to me on Version 5.0.96.3 w/ Win 10 21H1.