[5.0 Beta] Can't drag PDF to item

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • I had asked about about an inconvenience in 5.0-beta, on how to save pdf's from Firefox directly as attachments to a Zotero entry (on page 5 in this thread). Dan kindly explained the functionality was not in the Firefox connector, but the following methods should still work:

"In the meantime, the easiest way is just to drag either the link to the PDF or the PDF's icon (either from its tab or from the left of the address bar) directly onto the item in Zotero."

which I could confirm at the time. However, it no longer works for me (Firefox 53.0.3, Zotero 5.0-beta202). I can only attach pdf's from Firefox by downloading the file, and manually attaching to an item. Any clues?
  • This should definitely still work, and does for me.

Can you provide a Debug ID for trying to drag?
  • edited May 24, 2017
    D1896021289. I am not sure if there is any useful output in there, though. This is on a Mac, in case that makes a difference.

Engin
  • And this happens even after restarting Zotero? Are you trying this in the root of My Library? Does it happen from any browser? And you're able to select the same item and attach a PDF to it manually?
  • edited May 24, 2017
    Yes, it happens after a restart. At the root of the library or in subcollections. Chrome works perfectly fine for this purpose; the problem is with Firefox only. And yes, I can attach these items manually.

Now that I have tried this many, many times, it feels like Firefox is not "moving" the files as it should.

Thank you.
  • Oh, if it works from Chrome, that sounds like potentially a Firefox problem, then. It's not quite representative, but if you drag to a text box (say, the comment box here) in Firefox, do you see a normal PDF URL?
  • I do see the URL show up here moving the addressbar from Firefox.

The difference is, from Chrome, when I move the addressbar on to Zotero, Zotero responds and highlights where I am hovering, ready to attach. When I move the addressbar from Firefox, Zotero feels dead. It comes to the front of the screen, but it is not responsive.

I have tried many random pdfs, and the result is the same.
  • The issue resolved today, likely as a result of the release of Firefox 54. Thanks.