Connector issues with ProQuest (psycinfo)

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, so apologies if I'm breaking any rules or missing any obvious solutions. But I'm trying to import journal articles from a proquest database and the Zotero connector only recognizes them as "Embedded Metadata," rather than journal articles. This wasn't an issue as recently as last week. Anybody have any insight into this?

Thanks!
  • Here's a url. Maybe there's an issue because of my proxy?

search.proquest.com/psycinfo/docview/621516583/7F3E03581FE94B26PQ/1?accountid=9673
  • I don't have PsycInfo through ProQuest, so can't test this (@zuphilip -- do you?).

Do other ProQuest databases still work for you? (e.g. anything from ProQuest central or the dissertation database)

What's your setup (browser & Zotero version)
  • So I went into Zotero settings and disabled "Enable proxy redirection" and it started working just like it used to.

For the record, I am using Chrome and Zotero 5.0.5. I think the proxy redirection was in a relatively new update, because I only recently began seeing the notifications pop up about it, and the timing coincided with the connector issues.

What am I missing out on if I disable proxy redirection?
  • Yeah, it's a really nice feature -- it remembers resources you access through your university proxy and automatically adds the proxy into those when you try to access them.

That said -- if the URL above was exactly as you see it, it should not do anything at all -- did you remove any info from that?
  • I removed the proxy portion of the URL because I thought others might need to actually click the link. But yeah, there's no need for zotero to do that for me, since I use my university's databases to access other resources, so I'm already logged into the proxy
  • Would you mind pasting the URL _with_ proxy so we can look at troubleshooting this for others? Which version of Chrome are you running (paste chrome://settings/help into the Chrome bar and press return).
  • Did you access proquest (or any other resource) outside campus before through the proxy? If you are getting this problem on-campus then you can disable the proxy feature and re-enable once off-campus. There's no drawbacks to having it disabled, it's just a convenience thing.
  • edited June 12, 2017
    @adamsmith We have access to PsycInfo through EBSCO, but I can access the above url without the accountid and have them just no access to the fulltext here, i.e. http://search.proquest.com/psycinfo/docview/621516583/7F3E03581FE94B26PQ/1 . Recognition and metadata looks good for me.
  • Thanks -- yeah, sounds like a Proxy-related issue.
  • Is what I describe below similar to the Proxy issue discussed above ??

My problem: I am on a Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, in Google Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). Zotero standalone 4.0.29.15.

I have been doing ok with using Zotero plug in for Chrome to capture references from EBSCO databases (e.g. Academic Search Complete) until this morning. Same thing using Safari Version 10.1 (10603.1.30.0.34).

Now I keep getting message “An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information. I looked at the information in the Troubleshooting documents and did not find discussion that I felt I could use. Some about pdfs but not for what I have seen ??

I did the same search in Chrome a few minutes ago using Mendeley Chrome plug in. Although it did not capture all 30 records on the EBSCO results screen, it did capture 25. The same search using Chrome and Zotero is currently hung in Chrome (last 10 minutes) displaying some references it’s trying to capture but hung. Similar error message with that screen. Also in prior attempts today the display showing references being captured has disappeared (as usual) in the Chrome window..but no references have ended up in the Zotero folder ??

I can use the plugins with Safari and Chrome to capture references from the Web of Science and from Google Scholar this afternoon.

I am seriously dependent on this all working with EBSCO for research and instruction. Can anyone point me to what I could/should do or what I should look for to resolve ??
  • Update. So, I just got home. In order to connect to EBSCO I had to “login” using our proxy service. I did so. Ran a search on EBSCO. Was able to capture 30 references and many associated pdfs with the Chrome plug in. Items all sent successfully to Zotero standalone that I spoke of earlier. I will try same search tomorrow “on campus”.

Apologies for my earlier stressed comment about needing this all to work for research and instruction here at the university. Thanks for patience……