Can't move items to Group Library

I have four group libraries. I have a lot of references in my unfiled area. I wish to move selections of these - obtained by searching with words in the title - to the relevant group library.

Earlier today, I selected a number of items and moved them to one of the libraries by dragging and dropping without any problem.

Now, when I try to do the same thing but with a different search, I am unable to drag them to THAT library. I could do so to any of the other libraries, but not the one I used earlier.

It doesn't matter whether I try this with one item or many.

I tried manually resynchronising, and I checked that the first batch had worked. They seem to be fine.

Can anyone point out to me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.
Graham
  • You can't drag the same item to a library twice and I believe if you have multiple items selected, and one of them is a duplicate the entire drag operation fails. Does that sound like it could be what you're seeing?
  • edited November 13, 2015
    Oh dear. Right. Yes, that's more than likely. I thought that, as they were unfiled, they couldn't already be in the library, but I suppose that is possible.

Thanks very much, Adam. I'll have to find a way of being more selective.

Cheers, Graham
  • (Unfiled refers to collection membership, not library/group membership)
  • Hmmm.... No retested with a brand new item. And no. It won't let me deposit it there either.

Any other thoughts?
    Cheers, Graham
  • Can you still create a new item _in_ the group (i.e. click on "Create New Item" (green plus sign)while you're in the group)?
  • Yes, I can.

I have a feeling that what is happening is that the content of one category (esp the unfiled items list) is not being refreshed when I would expect it to be. So, I think a selection of items haven't been allocated to a library or category when they have been. If I go to that library/category then they are there. When I return they have left the unfiled list. However, if I don't leave the unfiled list and come back then they are still selected and at that stage I can't (as you pointed out) re-allocate them to the same library/category.

This is as much about my confusion as it is Zotero.

Thanks for your help.
    Graham
  • Hello,
    I'm using zotero on mac book pro.
    I do not manage to drag and drop references from a library to another one when I use Zotero directly on my computer. no error message appears.

thanks for help,

AE
  • edited November 23, 2015
    Same question -- can you create a new item in the target library directly?
    (And to be clear -- this is in Zotero Standalone, correct? This won't work if you're just on the website).
  • Re: @adamsmith 's comment above of 13 Nov 2015, "can't drag the same item to a library twice" - is there any plan to amend this in Z 5? I find it quite frustrating when building libraries, where I'll often have multiple items from one author across several thematic subfolders, and then want to consolidate them into an author-specific folder (for example) so do a search of the whole library for that name, but then end up having to move items one by one because one or two may already be in that author-folder. I mean clearly there are workarounds but it's not clear to me why Zotero can't just recognise duplicates and either reproduce them (easier to delete subsequently) or, better yet, not reproduce them - at least for the purpose of drag/drop...?