zotero crashes word after adding articles

Hi,
Word crashes when I try to add a citation after each time I add a new article and retrieve its metadata. In order to keep adding new citations I have to restart my laptop (restarting zotero or word doesn't help). Any ideas how to sort it out?
Thanks,
Jonathan
  • Are you sure the crashes are related to retrieving article metadata?

(You do know that the primary way to add items to Zotero is by using the Zotero extension in your browser? Adding pdfs and retrieving metadata is a non-standard approach.)

If you provide a Debug ID for the crash/erroneous action we can take a look.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the quick response!
    Here is the message I get:
    "The remote procedure call failed
    (insertFieldRaw:document.cpp)The remote procedure call failed
    (insertFieldRaw:document.cpp) when calling method:
    (zoteroIntegrationDocument:::insertField)"
    Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • you could try running through the steps outlined by aurimas here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/215688/#Comment_215688
  • Is there already a solution for this problem? I have the same problem, and I think it has something to do with "invisible leftovers of fields" as suggested in this post:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/261872/#Comment_261872

I can edit citations, but as soon as I try to add a new one, MS Word will crash
  • PS: Error ID is 27113852.
  • Thank you, adamsmith, as always, for your quick response. (I hope you get paid for this.^^)

I did already try this and could not really isolate the point of failure. I think it might have to do with the fact, that there are fields from another citation manager in the document. (Work on a 2. edition, wrote the original with the built-in citation manager of MS Word, shame on me.)

The problem does repeatedly occur only when I try to insert a citation in the area where the program crashed in the first place - which is a place near one of those "old fields". So somehow I can work around all this. But it happens again and again, always leading to a bit of data loss and a very bad feeling.

So further hints are highly appreaciated.
  • have you tried looking for old field using alt+F9?