Zotero 5.0 Bug: citation not working (several issues)

Report ID: 1762169239

Cite using drag and drop:
When I try to cite using drag-and-drop, nothing appears in my editor. No visual feedback in Zotero either.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Zotero
2. Select an element from My Library
3. Drag the selected element to a text editor (Tested with Gedit and Atom)

Cite using Copy Citation-button:
The Edit>Copy Citation button doesn't copy the citation of the selected element.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Zotero
2. Select an element from My Library
3. Press Edit > Copy Citation
4. Paste in text editor (Tested with Gedit and Atom)

Loosing selected citation style:
When choosing a citation style under Preferences > Cite, the style gets selected. After a restart of Zotero, the style is deselected again.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start Zotero
2. Open Preferences > Cite
3. Choose a style (I tested IEEE)
4. Close the Preference menu using the close button
5. Restart Zotero
6. Open Preferences > Cite

All tested with Zotero 5.0-beta.202+ddc9989 on Fedora 25 with Gnome 3.22.2

Thx for your help!
  • I think you're just misunderstanding the preferences (which may not be ideal, but haven't changed since 3.0 in this respect):

You select the default style for quick copy under "Export" ==> Quick Copy in the preferences.

This should make 1 and 2 work. As a minimum, we'd need to know which style you actually have selected there.
    3. isn't a bug. You're not supposed to be able to "select" any style there other than to uninstall it.
  • edited May 30, 2017
    Thank you for your help, I can't believe I haven't figured this out myself ;)
    Sry for posting this as a bug report.

I think I've figured out why it didn't work the first time:
    I chose BibTeX as output format. Whenever this format is set as default output nothing gets copied to the system clipboard.

If I choose another output format (tested with AAA, Cell, IEEE) it works just fine.
    I also restarted Zotero after switching the format just to be sure, but it didn't help.

Any ideas?
  • edited May 30, 2017
    For export formats (as opposed to bibliography styles) only Copy Bibliography will work.

https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1155

(BibTeX is a little complicated in that it actually supports citation keys, but it's still an export format as far as Zotero is concerned — there's currently no separate way to generate a citation key.)
  • Are there any plans in integrating a feature that allows you to easily copy a BibTeX-key in Zotero 5.0?

Since BBT isn't compatible with the new 5.0-Version, this feature would be greatly appreciated :)
  • The hope is certainly to get BBT working on 5.0. I think having a citekey-by-drag feature would be nice -- my thinking is that it'll probably have to wait until we get better citekey support in general, which will hopefully be in 5.1.
  • +1 for customizable BibTeX keys. I've been using a custom pattern for a long time with BBT extension, and as long as neither BBT nor custom key generator works with Z5, it is a showstopper for me and many others, I believe.