Some titles suddenly appear wrongly at the end of the bibliography

I've update two items (news-paper articles) yesterday and after refreshing the document, the articles appeared at the bottom of the bibliography (even though the author's names start with s and l they thus appeared behind titles whose author's name starts with "z"). I had this problem once before and could solve it by deleting the wrong ordered titles and put them in the database again. But this time, deleting and recreating the itmes does not help. What can I do?
  • Could you try this in a fresh document? What Citation style are you using?
  • Thank you, I've already got a solution: I left the field "date" blank since my citation style "Sascha Förster - Geisteswissenschaften (German)" only shows the year when one quotes Newspapers (not the whole date) and I tried to put the date in another field. But leaving the field "date" blank apparently confuses Zotero and it puts the quoted times at the bottom of the bibliography...
  • edited May 4, 2017
    Do you think that is a mistake in the style? It would then be worth for us to fix it so other people don't have the same problem.
    edit:
    Looking at the style it should give you the access URL and the access date if it's available for that specific citation.
  • So there is nothing wrong with the style, correct? If there is; I'm ready to add your code or change the code to your suggestions.
  • Generally, don't change your data to format a style--change the style code. When you have date information entered for the item, is the style printing it incorrectly? How should a reference look and what does it look like currently? Regarding the sorting, it is likely that the style is set to sort by date. Is that wrong? How should items be sorted?
  • edited May 29, 2017
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    REGELN FÜR DIE SORTIERUNG IM LITERATURVERZEICHNIS
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::-->

<macro name="sort-key">
    <!-- Die Sortierung erfolgt erst nach dem 1. Titel-Beitragenden (contributors-long), dann nach Datum (issued),
    dann nach dem Titel des Werks (title-long). -->
    <text macro="contributors-long" suffix=" "/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    <text macro="title-long" suffix=" "/>
    </macro>

It should start with the names and then the dates. :) If it does behave differently, probably I need an export of your database, to see, why it behaves differently. :)
  • yeah, style code looks right. This is almost certainly either a user error or a citeproc bug.
  • edited June 1, 2017
    It's hard to say without testing with specific input combinations, but setting multiple elements (author, date and title) as a single string key will definitely cause anomalies in the sort. Try removing the sort-key macro and setting the cs:sort block to this:

<sort>
    <key macro="contributors-long"/>
    <key macro="issued"/>
    <key macro="title-long"/>
    </sort>
  • Some other styles also use "sort-key" macros that merge multiple keys to a string. Worth a review, they might also produce unexpected sort results:

austrian-legal.csl
    clio-medica.csl
    foerster-geisteswissenschaft.csl
    instituto-superior-de-teologia-de-las-islas-canarias.csl
    moore-theological-college.csl
    technische-universitat-dresden-historische-musikwissenschaft-note.csl
    technische-universitat-dresden-kunstgeschichte-note.csl
    technische-universitat-dresden-medienwissenschaft-und-neuere-deutsche-literatur-note.csl
    universita-cattolica-del-sacro-cuore.csl
    universitatsmedizin-gottingen.csl
    university-college-dublin-school-of-history-and-archives.csl
    uppsala-universitet-historia.csl