Comma, period inside closing quotation mark in SBLHS

In the Society of Biblical Literature Handbook of Style (2nd ed) style (latest release: 24 December 2016), journal articles are output with the full reference the first time they occur, and with only the author name and a shortened title thereafter. This creates a difficulty in that, when no page number is supplied, a comma or period following the article reference is placed after the closing double quotation mark rather than inside it (per CMS 16th ed. conventions).

Thus, an initial reference to
Steve Delamarter and Daniel L. Brunner, “Theological Education and Hybrid Models of Distance Learning,” Theological Education 40.2 (2005): 145-161.
Would subsequently appear as
Delamarter and Brunner, “Theological Education and Hybrid Models”.
Rather than as
Delamarter and Brunner, “Theological Education and Hybrid Models.”
It seems this issue might be similar to this one already noted for MLA. Would it be possible for the style to be tweaked so that commas and periods come inside these closing quotation marks (at least for American locales)?

Thank you so much!
  • I can't replicate this currently -- can you check if this still occurs with the most recent (4.0.29.19) Zotero release?
  • Zotero says I'm running version 4.0.29.17. But, when I check for updates manually, it says none are available (Help > Check for updates). Is there something else I should be doing to pull down 4.0.29.19?

This being said, on further inspection, it looks like I stated the original issue imprecisely. When a no-page-number citation occurs either in a note by itself or at the end of a long content note, the period is placed in the appropriate place. Thus:
    Esselman, “The Pedagogy of the Online Wisdom Community.”
    But, when the citation occurs at the beginning or in the middle of a content note, the default is for a semicolon to be added after the citation (if there's a latter citation in the note), but sometimes a comma or period is needed instead (e.g., to add further comments after the citation, whether or not another citation follows in the note). The semicolon (if added automatically) is successfully eliminated by adding a comma or period as the first character in the suffix field. But, the comma or period (for standard American style) needs to be presented before the closing quotation mark after the title, rather than after it, as would be the case with a semicolon. Thus:
    For such hybrid experiences, the spiritually formative component could easily be thought to lie in the onground, or face-to-face, component rather than the online component. E.g., Esselman, “The Pedagogy of the Online Wisdom Community”. Consequently, the “onground” and “online” categories in this essay are employed to signal these two different modalities, not to reinforce what Delamarter and Brunner term “stage one thinking.”
    In Zotero, I've added
    . Consequently ...
    in the suffix field. But, it would probably be helpful to have some if condition such that if the first character in the suffix field is a period or comma what Zotero outputs is ." or ," rather than ". or ", followed by the remainder of the suffix field.
  • (4.0.29.17 is the latest Zotero version for Windows, and it has an older citation processor version. 4.0.29.19 is the latest Firefox extension.)

You could try the 5.0 Beta, which has the newer processor, or just wait for 5.0 to be released, which it will be very soon. If you do try it, you can switch back to the main version when 5.0 is released.
  • You can also install the Propachi plugin https://juris-m.github.io/downloads/#csl-stuff which patches in the latest version of the citation processor.

But I haven't actually checked on your updated issue -- I just checked simple short titles -- so it's possible that this is broken across processor versions.
  • There was indeed a bug on this one. Moving punctuation on user-supplied suffixes was not being moved. It's fixed (as up a few seconds ago) in the Propachi plugins linked by @adamsmith above.
  • That's fantastic. Thank you guys so much!
  • edited May 19, 2017
    Tinker to Evers to Chance. :-)