Editor as creator?

I want to refer to a book by its editor rather than its author. The reference is:

Von Thünen's Isolated State: An English Edition of Der Isolierte Staat by Johann Heinrich Von Thünen, ed. Peter Hall, trans. Carla M. Wartenberg. Pergamon 1966.

The rationale for this is that Johann himself wrote the book in German and died in 1850, long before the translation. The actual title of the book differs from the one Von Thunen wrote, yet Peter Hall was not the author.

Using Chicago A-D, I believe citations should be "(Hall, ed. 1966)" and the entry in the list of references should be:

Hall, Peter, ed. 1966. Von Thünen's Isolated State: An English Edition of Der Isolierte Staat by Johann Heinrich Von Thünen, trans. Carla M. Wartenberg. Pergamon.

Is this correct? And if so, how to do this in Zotero?
  • In Zotero, click on the Author label next to the name and choose Editor instead.

For in-text citations, "ed." is not usually included (only in the bibliography).
  • edited May 12, 2017
    I was aware of Zotero's ability to enter an editor as creator, but the citation was hanging me up. I haven't seen where the CMS addresses this explicitly, but even if it's ambiguous (as it often is about many things), just omitting "ed." seems like a good solution.

Thanks!
  • You can trust that the Zotero Chicago style has all of these basics down correctly. It's one of the most carefully checked styles.
  • It's addressed in CMS 15.21 ". In this context, author may refer not only to one or more authors or an institution but also to one or more editors, translators, or compilers."

and the example given there:

(Woodward 1987)
    (Schuman and Scott 1987)

References:

Woodward, David, ed. 1987. Art and Cartography: Six Historical Essays. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.