"There was an error starting Zotero"

I installed Zotero and it worked, but when I restarted Firefox it provided me with the error above. I have not been able to load it since. I tried installing the patched version per discussion here, but no such luck.

I even tried replacing zotero.sqlite with zotero.sqlite.tmp, but nothing seems to work.

I've included the javascript error messages below:

Error: [Exception... "'Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: :: line 4" data: no]
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/include.js
Line: 4

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "ServiceManager::GetService returned failure code:" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero has no properties
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/ingester/browser.js
Line: 428

Error: Zotero has no properties
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/ingester/browser.js
Line: 61
Please help!
  • Well, this error is due to your trying to use an old version (the patched one) with a newer database. Please reinstall Beta 4 from zotero.org and let us know what error you receive then.
  • I tried re-installing before, but this time I went ahead and deleted the 'zotero' directory rather than uninstalling through Firefox, and after re-install it works! Thanks!
  • I can't get Zotero's working parts to come up. I have Firefox 2.0.0.2, and I have a Zotero icon on my "favorites." I get Zotero's homepage and can open all the subpages. But how do I get whatever I need so that I can get to work?

tomincarrboro
  • Sorry, everybody. I should have said in my earlier note that of course I found the Download button, and then followed the instructions up and including "restart Firefox." But all I get is Zotero's homepage. I don't see anywhere an icon for Zotero that I would hit to get me started.