[5.0 Beta] Outdated My Publications list

This discussion was created from comments split from: [5.0 Beta] "My Publications" in Beta. Some UX thoughts..
  • I would like to mention something I have noticed, in case it is relevant to this discussion:

I have added two items to My Publications, to test it (url=https://www.zotero.org/yusuf_martin#MPUESHGH). However, there is one additional article, a duplication, and one web page, in my profile. The items that are really in My Publications are the first (Do we need to develop...) and one of the duplicates (the second version of A literature for all..., the one without a Cambridge Journals snapshot link). The unwanted three items are not in My Publications on my laptop but are remnants of when I experimented with this facility over 1 month ago. Synchronization is up to date. Is this expected behaviour, or am I missing something?

Many thanks
  • Are you syncing from more than one computer? The items you see were all moved to the integrated My Publications and then uploaded to the server, mostly a week ago. Your local client should reflect those, but it's possible there was a bug in the My Publications migration code that prevented that from happening. In any case, you should definitely see those items in your library, even if they're not showing as being in My Publications, and you can probably fix this by adding them to My Publications and then removing them.
  • Also, when you upgraded to the version with the integrated My Publications collection, you should've seen all the items you previously had in the dedicated My Publications library in the new location. And those are the items you're still seeing online. So not sure what happened to those locally for you.
  • I use only one computer. I am unsure how the situation looked immediately before and after the upgrading to the integrated My Publications collection.

To test further, I have just done this:

1) Re-added the web page to my publications by drag and drop (I saw that I had two copies locally, so I added both)
    2) Synced
    3) Checked online and saw that both were there (presumably one newly added one, plus the one previously added).
    4) Locally I deleted both from My Publications (not from elsewhere in My Library).
    5) Synced
    6) Online, no publications are now visible (not even the two articles still in My Publications locally) and there is a rotating circle...
    7) Locally, the two versions of the web page have disappeared both from My Library and My Publications

• edited April 25, 2017
    Locally I deleted both from My Publications (not from elsewhere in My Library).
    How, exactly? By pressing Delete/Backspace or by choosing "Move to Trash" from the context menu? Note that you get a different message depending on which you're doing, and the latter would indeed remove the items from My Library and move them to the Trash. But just pressing Delete on items in My Publications should only remove them from there, and the prompt should reflect that.
  • It does look like there's an issue displaying your publications online now, though. We'll look into that.
  • I probably used Move to Trash: lesson learned.

I have now removed the remaining two items from My Publications locally (using right click and remove items from My Publications) and they have not been deleted

The circle continues to rotate at url=https://www.zotero.org/yusuf_martin#MPUESHGH despite repeated syncs

Many thanks
  • Right, to clarify, after this change My Publications is essentially just a collection in your library, so if you move items to the trash from there, it'll affect those items elsewhere in your library. This is different from how My Publications initially worked.
  • Thank you, understood.

Is there a way for me to have my profile online reflect the state of My Publications locally? At the moment, despite repeated syncs, the circle continues to spin and no publications are visible online (I have just one, newly added, locally).

Thank you.
  • I think you missed my message above:
    It does look like there's an issue displaying your publications online now, though. We'll look into that.
  • Sorry, and thank you very much!
  • OK, the display issue on the website should be fixed now.
  • Many thanks, and I confirm this.

I have now added three references to My Publications and they appear in my online profile. I am able to use the new button in the right hand pane to set the visibility of child items.

However, whilst snapshots can be shown with sync, PDF attachments cannot. Clicking on the red alarm button that appears beside the green sync arrow after syncing gives the error 'Linked-file attachments cannot be added to My Publications'.

Thank you.
  • Unless that's a bug, it sounds like these are not files stored in Zotero, but linked to entries, e.g. via ZotFile.
  • That is correct, file my PDF attachments using Zotfile as it makes it so much easier to use them for a range of purposes.

As much as I love Zotero (and use it every day) the Zotero way of storing files has its limitations.
  • Obviously Zotero can't display those online -- they're not on Zotero's servers in the first place.
  • (It's a bug that those were allowed to be made visible in My Publications to begin with, though — we'll fix that.)
  • Noted, thank you.