IllegalArgumentException under OO3 on Linux

hi,
here is what i did:
had a document open in OO3 on Linux using the latest plugin (both in ff and oo). zotero was working fine.
wanted to edit a citation. clicked on a different article in my library then pressed cancel.

from that point on zotero is unusable within that document. whenever i try to add or edit a citation, a dialog appears saying:

An unexpected error occured while perfomring this operation:

File "/home/myhome/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/k4ll9y_/Zotero.oxt/Zotero.py", line 396, in __getFields
self.docFields = self.doc.getFields(self.data.prefs['fieldType'])
File
"/home/myhome/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/k4ll9y_/Zotero.oxt/Zotero.py", line 1095, in getFields
fields.sort()
File
"/home/myhome/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/k4ll9y_/Zotero.oxt/Zotero.py", line 1140, in __cmp__
return x.wpDoc.text.compareRegionStarts(yRange, xRange)
com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException

i fortunatly have a copy of that document before i wanted to edit the citation and everything works fine there....

any help is greatly appreciated.
thomas
  • I get the same exception on Linux/OOO 2.4. The error occurs when I try to add a citation, when I try to edit one, refresh or click the preferences button. I believe I haven't worked on this particular file since 1.5 alpha days.

/Daniel
  • Here: Windows/OOo 3
    I do not trust the references in OOo.
  • I have (had) the same issue.

FIRST OFF: SOLVED by enabling show changes in OOo when I want to use the plugin, then hiding them again. The only catch is, anything I do, I always get the upgrade pop-up message. I can live with that... for some time.

see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2492/openoffice-basic-runtime-error/

Still, maybe this inconvenience can be solved. Extended description follows.

An odt file [record changes on, show changes off in OOo] which already was giving me problems under Zotero 1.0.9 and OOoplugin 1.0.b4 (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5280/ooo-plugin-basic-runtime-error/) is no better off under 1.5b2 and OOo plugin 2.02a.

The error message is significantly different, just a single popup with the same text Thartmann pasted.

I've sent in an error report (id 908407598).

If I copy-paste the content of the file into a new document [record changes off, show on], the following happens:

1- adding a citation opens the document preferences dialog (I choose chicago-manual style, fields)
    2- a message warning the upgrade to 1.5 will take place pops up, hit OK
    3- select reference, hit OK
    4- pop up error window with Thartmann's text, hit OK.
    5- second zotero action in the document (insert or edit reference, create bibliography, refresh)
    6- upgrade warning pops up again, hit OK.
    7- field added/edited satisfactorily
    8- this time, no error message shows up.
    9- after this, the plugin seems to work normally.

currently Debian testing, OOo 2.4, Zot 1.5b2, plugin 2.02a

Thanks for reading all the way down here.

hugo
  • I am experiencing the same problem. It happens with specific documents (large ones) and not new ones.
    I get this error tab, I press ok, then the same error tab for 3-4 more times, if I press OK ore the X button of all them, it works fine, but it's annoying
    I use LibreOffice and Firefox
    Any suggestions ?
  • Here is a screenshot of the error tab :
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/screenshotzoteroerror.png/
    I hope it helps
  • It sounds like there's a reference in your document that's causing a problem (likely in a table or somewhere else not in the main text body). See http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents. If you can narrow it down, send just the subset of the document necessary to reproduce the issue to support@zot...org.
  • Thank you Simon,
    I followed the steps and started deleting one by one citation in the text (a copy of the file)
    There was a citation in a footnote that was producing the problem