firefox behind the scenes fiasco

About five years ago I switched from Firefox to Chrome, and started using Zotero stand-alone.

Recently I've had to cut back on applications I don't use as my hard drive is getting too crowded. So I deleted Firefox, but kept Safari and Chrome.

A couple days later I went to open Zotero and the entire library is gone. I searched high and low but it's pretty hard to hide more than a thousand pdfs, and they are nowhere on my computer. Which says to me that Zotero was continuing to store things under Firefox all along. I just didn't realize it, and I dumped it all.

Mea culpa: I should have realized it. Luckily the entire database and all the pdfs are still there in my zotero.org library, but I'm unsure how to proceed at this point. Can I reverse sync, and download everything into Zotero stand-alone? I'm hoping this is possible.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
  • you don't even have to do anything special. A regular sync is all you need (Zotero treats your empty database just like it would a new installation on a new computer).

If this is a large library, I'd recommend setting this up over night. Recently, large syncs have on occasion taken a lot of time.
  • edited April 10, 2017
    Just follow @adamsmith 's instructions, but some more background:
    Which says to me that Zotero was continuing to store things under Firefox all along. I just didn't realize it, and I dumped it all.
    Yes, in two cases Zotero would have stored your data within your Firefox profile folder: a) if you only ever used Zotero for Firefox, or, which seems to be your case, b) if you first installed Zotero for Firefox, then installed Zotero Standalone, and then have Zotero Standalone use the existing data directory of your installed copy of Zotero for Firefox.

Firefox should also have prompted you to ask whether you want to delete your Firefox profile when you uninstalled it, but that's obviously not a very helpful warning if you weren't aware that this profile included your Zotero data.

@dstillman, are there any plans to eventually move existing data directories out of Firefox profile folders, since Zotero for Firefox is going the way of the dodo? (especially since you were already planning to move some data directories: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/262845/#Comment_262845)

• edited April 10, 2017
    @Rintze: Yes, it's what I say there. Data directories are automatically migrated out of the Firefox profile in 5.0 (on all platforms). Already implemented in the beta.
  • edited April 10, 2017
    @dstillman, okay, thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure this would take place on all platforms.

I just noticed that https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#default_locations already lists the default locations for Zotero 5.0, which I assume will also be the migration targets. (by the way, maybe you'd want to change "Windows 7/Vista" to "Windows 7 and higher" throughout the wiki? You're missing out on Windows 8 and 10)
  • edited May 23, 2017
    @dstillman, coming back to this after reading https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/276648/#Comment_276648, there must be a lot of Zotero for Firefox users who will be switching to Zotero Standalone when 5.0 is released, and there might be quite a few people who only have kept Firefox around to use Zotero for Firefox.

During the upgrade process ("Data directories are automatically migrated out of the Firefox profile in 5.0 (on all platforms)."), is the user explicitly made aware of the data directory migration and the old and new locations? That would help users understand that following their upgrade to Zotero Standalone 5.0 and data directory migration, it is safe to delete Firefox and their Firefox profile. And, if they had a backup strategy specific to their old Zotero data directory location, that they need to change that too.
  • edited May 24, 2017
    is the user explicitly made aware of the data directory migration and the old and new locations?
    If I understand correctly, s/he is only made aware that the migration is in progress.
    It's only if the migration fails that s/he gets other information.