Libreoffice communication error with zotero plugin

When I try to add a citation to my document, I get the following error. I've tried clicking okay and then refreshing the document but the new citation(s) do(es)n't then appear in the bibliography. Any ideas?

An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException:
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:185)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy29.gotoRange(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.select(ReferenceMark.java:140)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:121)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
'An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException:
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy29.gotoRange(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::select]
  • which setup (OS, LO, and Zotero versions) and does this also happen in a fresh document?
  • Sorry really should have included that initially.

This is on Windows 7, LO 5.2, Zotero 4.0.29.11

There seem to be no problems in a new document.

I thought I should also include that I'm using bookmarks as opposed to reference marks and the references are stored in the document.

Thanks for replying so quickly btw!
  • I had the same problem, but with Arch Linux, LO 5.3 and Zotero 4.0.29.10. (Had it with LO 5.2, too.) The documentation preferences are bookmarks (instead of fields) and not including the references in the document.

An error occurred communicating with Zotero: com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException:
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy31.gotoRange(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)'

An error occurred communicating with Zotero: com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException:
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy31.gotoRange(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
  • Does this happen in a new document?
  • It happens for me in an old document (a DOC) when I edit the references in a way that many of them are updated. Is there any information about the document that would help?
  • If you could use the technique 8 as described in document debugging instructions and isolate a problematic citation, then send that to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, I could look into it. It could be just broken bookmarks in the document, but Zotero should still handle that better.

You can also use the other tips on that page to try and fix the problem, of course.
  • Email sent. Next I'll try the other tips. Do I help you if I say which tip helped fix the error?
  • Feel free to post - someone else might benefit from your solution too. The document sample should be enough for debugging on our end.
  • edited March 11, 2017

1. Disabling change tracking and accepting all changes: avoided messages about I having changed citations, but did not avoid error messages.

2. Checking for citations in image captions: I didn't have any.

3. Copying and pasting the document content into a new document: old citations were not recognized when I had previously set the preferences, and LibreOffice 5.3 crashes when I set the preferences only after pasting the contents. Maybe because I'm using fields/bookmarks instead of reference marks?

4. Make a copy of your document to use for debugging: ok, let's see what's next.

5. Switching to a different bibliography style: still receiving error messages

6. Deleting the reference list: still receiving an errors messages

7. Sending in an error report: report ID 149601836.

8. Sending the document excerpt to support@zotero.org: done that. so we can take a look at it. For all other discussion, please post to the forums.

9. Displaying field codes rather than formatted text: not possible because I am using fields/bookmarks in a DOC with LibreOffice.

• edited March 14, 2017
    I took a look at the snippet you sent over and I'm afraid there are multiple bookmarks that have been modified and are broken. This is mainly because bookmarks are very easy to modify accidentally, especially when reviewing documents with track-changes.

If that works at all, you could try converting your document to user ReferenceMarks, copy the contents over to a fresh document and then convert it back to use Bookmarks. This might break some existing active references and you will have to re-insert those, but you should be able to retain the majority of them and the freshly regenerated bookmark-based references will be certainly clean.

When performing the procedure make sure that the conversion works correctly by enabling Field Code shading by enabling View -> Field Shadings. When using ReferenceMarks active citations should have a gray background. When converting back to bookmarks in a fresh document the active citations should lose the gray background. Make sure you can still edit the citations after conversion, before saving the document. Don't forget to keep a backup before proceeding.
  • Thanks for the tip, but converting the document to ReferenceMarks raised another error. Some citations had a grey background but were "{citation}" instead of an actual number, and others stayed without the grey background.

I should soon translate it from Portuguese to English, and then I'll type if from scratch without tracking changes. Unfortunately, I have to use DOC(X) files because of coauthors.
  • Well, the citations that didn't convert properly are already broken with Bookmarks. Converting those to ReferenceMarks highlights the problematic ones and allows you to do something about it. Depending on how many of them remain functional it may, or may not be worth going through the trouble of conversions. If you do - you can have some peace of mind about future problems.
  • edited August 20, 2017
    Hello:

I'm having a very similar problem with a big document that I almost finished. I have it configured with reference marks.

Before that I update Zotero and also was manipulating the database within the web. I have done before that a long time ago, but maybe this have broken my document configuration of links to Zotero.

I tried to delete the bibliography but I still have the problem.

This doesn't happen with a new document. And I have a backup of the undebugged document. So in that part I'm safe.

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with LibreOffice 5.1.6.2. I'm using ReferenceMarks. The recomended setup. I send the report or the error with the number 794620462.

Hope anyone of you can help me with this. Please.
  • You never say what actual error you're receiving in LibreOffice
  • Is a very similar problem. I try to insert a citation and is impossible. Zotero tries to insert the citation but it fails to do it.

I'm debugging the document. And I'm close to discover where is the problem. There are 2 chapters that have 2 or more broken links to Zotero, I think.
  • I complete the debugging and I really don't know why I'm still having the same problem. I'm really concerned with this.
  • I'm afraid this is just a broken field code error, so you'll have to manually debug until you get rid of the problems. See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • Thanks adomasven. I finally solved the debugging problem copying and pasting to a new document more than 4 times. In the second time I found a copy that solved the problem, even when I had to work again in formatting some things to put the document again as I have it before. Thanks.