"There was an error starting Zotero" (Mac Standalone)

Hi,

I tried searching for this in the forums, but couldn't find anything. Whenever I power up my iMac at work, i get an alert saying "There was an error starting Zotero", set over an inaccessible dialogue about a Zotero update which is downloaded ande ready to install. I hit "OK", and everything is gone. Same thing happens when I manually start the Zotero app. I uninstalled it and dowloaded the latest, which worked fine until I had to restart the computer. At start-up the same thing happened again.
Here's a pic of the dialogue boxes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5odjgsm2gg5y5j8/Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 08.48.45.png?dl=0

Some system info:

OS X El Capitain 10.11.6
iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2,66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4,8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B04
SMC Version (system): 1.54f33
Serial Number (system): W801019D5RU
Hardware UUID: CBB55205-EC21-54FD-A13F-F397CBF806DD
  • Update: just reinstalled again, and it failed. Launching the newly installed app renders the same message.
  • We're looking into this, but try pressing Cmd-` (tilde) to switch to the update window and then pressing tab and spacebar to select Restart Later. If you then restart Zotero again, you might be able to get to the main window.

If that doesn't work, follow the steps here, and follow up in that thread if you're still having trouble.
  • I was having the same problem today. The keyboard-based switch to update window and Restart later (have to press enter once selected, just to be clear) worked, and Zotero opened. Seems to be ok after zotero restart and computer restart as well.