Style Request: Music Theory Spectrum

Footnote citation: Campbell and Pedersen (2007).

Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. 2007. "The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success." Comparative Political Studies 40 (3): 307–332.

Mares, Isabela. 2001. "Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers?" In Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage. Ed. Peter A. Hall and David Soskice. 184–213. New York: Oxford University Press.

This is a modified Chicago author-date style. The only differences are the placement of parentheses, the fact that all citations appear in footnotes, and the use of Ibid. They don't mention Ibid. in the style guide, but it can be seen on the third page of the article pdf linked to below.

Print ISSN 0195-6167
Online ISSN 1533-8339

Style guide here: http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/mts/for_authors/mts style guide.pdf

Sample article: http://bit.ly/2mq3GeI

The sample article link will expire but should work for now.

Thank you!!
  • From the other thread discussing this style:
    I'm looking for a citation style that is basically like Chicago author-date, with only three differences:

1) Citations appear exclusively in footnotes, never in the body.
    2) Uses ibid.
    3) Citations are exclusively formatted with the parentheses only around year/pages, not around the Author: e.g. Author (year, pages); Miller (1984, 49-52)

The International Organization style is similar, but seems to have some differences in the bibliography (e.g., ordering same-author papers by title rather than by date).
  • @antaresboyle
    I had a first initial go at this. Please let us know any mistakes and we can try to fix them: https://gist.github.com/damnation333/f42dd148eec8440d8941bc0a41167063
  • @damnation Thanks so much! This looks good. Here are a few mistakes I noticed:

In footnote citations, the page numbers should be inside the parentheses, with the date, e.g.: Wilson (1992, 61–62).

In the bibliography:
    • Article title should have double quotation marks, not single, and the period at the end should fall inside the quotes
    • An extra period is showing up at the very end of book/chapter in book references
    • If more than one source by an author, those following the first should replace the name with a long dash followed by a period: –––.

If it helps, the bibliography (/reference list) should be entirely consistent with Chicago author–date; it's only the footnotes that are slightly different.
  • edited February 28, 2017
    @antaresboyle
    I think I fixed all the issues. not sure about the --- thing. I've activated subsequent-author-substitute. let's see if that's correct.
  • @damnation thanks! it looks good! two things:

The dash as author substitute is appearing but it is too short. I think it should be three em dashes. (Sorry, I think I mistyped this before. It's hard to tell what it is because it turns into one long dash in some fonts, but it should look just the same as Chicago author-date)

And also the bibliography items by the same author should be ordered by date (didn't catch this earlier)
  • edited March 1, 2017
    @antaresboyle
    Check it out again. Should have fixed he two issues now.
  • @damnation
    Thanks! The dash looks perfect, but it seems like the bibliography is still ordering same-author papers alphabetically and not by date.
  • edited March 1, 2017
    @damnation
    Hmmm, I don't think it's fixed, but am I installing it right? I used the style editor and replaced the code for Music Theory Spectrum with yours, then saved over the file. (Previously I was just downloading and double-clicking on the .csl file.)

Also, sorry, but I plugged it into a longer document and noticed one more small issue! In a footnote citation, Ibid. followed by page numbers should have parentheses around the page numbers, like this:

Ibid. (21–22).

• Try the style that is in the repository now.
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=Music theory

• edited March 2, 2017
    Thanks for working on this! The most recent version now orders by date, rather than title within the bibliography, which is great.

The only remaining is to change the way this style does Ibid. footnotes (with page numbers)—getting rid of the comma, and adding paratheses.

Currently:
    Mares (2001, 184-6).
    Ibid., 187-8.

Desired:
    Mares (2001, 184-6).
    Ibid. (187-8).
  • Changes are made, Adam and Rintze gave me a hand. Thanks.
    The updated version should be on the repository shortly or you can somewhere within Zotero pull the latest version.
  • Looks great!! Thanks so much for all your help!