Out of order references (Author, Yeara) and (Author, Yearb)

I got contacted by a PhD student who was using the Geology citation style (though I have tested and this is also a problem with APA and I'm assuming other styles that have this Same Author, Same Year formulation...)

When he puts in two references with the same author and the same date, it's mixing up the a and b - usually the a should be referenced first in the paper and the b should be next, etc. but it's not been working for him. (Smith and Wesson, 2016b) would show up first and (Smith and Wesson, 2016a is showing up second). I tested this out and it worked fine UNTIL I switched sentences around. Then it didn't fix on refresh. And then even when I started a whole new document and added in the same references, they were STILL out of order. Are they somehow "sticky"?

I know that order can be fixed, because it is fixed when I do 3-5 authors in APA style. Is this something that is a known issue and can be fixed?

Thanks
  • When he puts in two references with the same author and the same date, it's mixing up the a and b - usually the a should be referenced first in the paper and the b should be next, etc.
    I don't know exactly what Geology requires, but that's not necessarily the case and e.g. it explicitly is not for APA: The order of a and b is determined by the order of the bibliography, which in both APA and Geology is determined alphabetically by the title.
  • (That said, I don't think the Geology style is quite right, so we might need to fix that anyway)
  • @efilgo
    The fixed style is now on the repository.
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:geology (time stamp 26-03-2017)