Loosing attached pdf files

Hallo,

I have the problem that I have lost many files attached to the entries in my library. Does anyone know what causes this issue and how I might prevent this?

Cheers...

Christian
  • could you clarify "lost" -- they don't appear in Zotero anymore or they don't open when you try?
  • Yes, "cannot be located anymore" -- the folder is still present, however, the pdf is shown as if attached but if you ty to open it, poof...
  • Is this on the same computer where you added the files or could they just not have synced?
  • I have multiple devices in use. It must have to do with synchronization. I cannot reproduce the misstep. Somehow, days or weeks later when I try to open a file, it is gone. I really do not know how I have been able to store it outside of Zotero of move it. Normally I read the file and close it again...
  • Just because you can't open it from one device doesn't mean it's gone. It likely just means it hasn't synced to that device (and/or from the original device to the server)
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
  • No, I check it on alternating devices -- and they are gone on all devices...
  • That's not possible — Zotero currently has no code to delete files without deleting the corresponding attachment in Zotero. So either you're checking a different computer from where the files were created or using a different Zotero data directory.
  • Hallo,

I do not "blame" Zotero for this issue -- however, I cannot reproduce the synchronisation misstep. The only strategy I can think of right now is to be more conscious about the progress of synchronisation (as adamsmith hinted at), especially if I set up a new maschine.

The only other source of problems I can think of is the use of app-software on the iPad to read pdfs (is it zotfile? I' am not sure) which moved/deleted files.

We 'll see...

Thanks for your effort, anyway...
  • ZotFile _is_ able to move files -- in Zotero, that would also change the icon. For a PDF, e.g., you would no longer see the red and white PDF icon, but instead a white icon with a chain link (the icon for "link"). Is that the case? If so, we'd be able to tell you more about where to look.