Style Request: International Journal of Radiation Biology

I would like a citation style for International Journal of Radiation Biology (ISSN:0955-3002) but I could not find it in the Zotero repository.

References:

Brocklehurst B. 2001 Radiation damage in DNA: Possible role of higher triplet states. Radiat Res 155:637-640

Cao X, Wu X, Frassica D, Yu B, Pang L, Xian L, Wan M, Lei W, Armour M, Tryggestad E, Wong J, Wen CY, Lu WW, Frassica FJ. 2011. Irradiation induces bone injury by damaging bone marrow microenvironment for stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108:1609-1614

In the text: "The hematopoietic system is sensitive to radiation damage, which often leads to radiation induced lethality (Zhou and Mi 2005)."

Thank you!

Jackline
  • Dear Jackline, there is a lot of Harvard styles in Zotero repozitory. Did you look for similar style or only style exactly for IJoRB? Style for American Journal of Primatology looks very similar for your needs and you can try find style for another yournal, which is fully campatible with instruction for author of IJoRB.
  • @adamsmith and @Rintze
    Just looking into this as it's not in the repo although it's a Taylor & Francis journal. It says it's the CSE style, but the T&F CSE style doesn't really match.

in-line: should be (Campbell and Pedersen 2007), but the TnF-CSE style uses an ampersand.

References:
    It got all this [Internet] and [cited] and URL stuff that is not needed.

Here is a pdf of a paper: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/ref/10.1080/09553002.2016.1186301?scroll=top
    Guidelines here: http://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=irab20#Style_guidelines
  • http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09553002.2017.1231946 does use ampersand
    The internet stuff -- remember that that doesn't appear for the typical journal article in Zotero or Mendeley with the proper setting. The editor is a bit overzealous there.
  • Perfect. That makes sense. Thanks!
    I've made a pull request for it: https://github.com/citation-style-language/journals/pull/32
  • The internet stuff -- remember that that doesn't appear for the typical journal article in Zotero or Mendeley with the proper setting. The editor is a bit overzealous there.
    (I still think it would be better to get rid of this reference manager setting and put the logic in the styles themselves; is there a reason this particular setting needs to be configurable?)
  • @Rintze -- I agree. I've actually been thinking the same thing. It would be quite a bit of work to "fix", but I don't think the status quo (which also differs between reference managers) is good.

@dstillman @bdarcus -- do you happen to remember the history of the "include URL" button or respectively the convention not to include URLs for articles with page ranges?
  • I do not remember, but there's probably a public thread somewhere.
  • edited February 4, 2017
    Some more detective work shows that the preference was added in Zotero 1.0.2. See https://www.zotero.org/support/1.0_changelog#changes_in_102_january_7_2008 ("URLs for articles with page numbers are no longer cited by default; New checkbox in Export pane of Zotero preferences to control this behavior").
  • Thanks Rintze. @dstillman any thoughts on changing this behavior. The biggest upside is that we actually have 100% control over styles and can do things like actually always display URLs for journal articles the way some universities want their students to. It also just removes behavior that clearly users find hard to understand (rightly so, I'd say).

The two biggest downsides are that we lose a degree of flexibility -- you can't just have a style that's "Chicago but will always display URLs" or the like and the massive adjustments needed on the CSL side (but that's really not Zotero's concern).

Rintze and I agree that doing away with the option would be preferrable. Thoughts?
  • I couldn't find anything in the xbiblio-devel mailing list archives or Trac on this topic (I gave up on the forums since forum search is so limited nowadays), so the rationale for adding the toggle is still rather unclear to me. We also haven't asked Mendeley, but my hunch is that they just copied Zotero in this regard.

Of all things that we can customize in CSL, it seems rather arbitrary to have an overriding toggle for this specific behavior in the Zotero UI. Including DOIs in references is probably also more common now than in 2008, which would reduce the need for a customizable toggle.

If we plan to get rid of it, maybe Zotero could gradually phase it out, e.g. by changing the default value of the setting or making it a hidden preference, before getting rid of it completely.
  • To make things worse, Mendeley's toggle is different from Zotero's. The toggle there is to include URLs only for Websites or always.
  • @dstillman any thoughts on changing this behavior. […] Rintze and I agree that doing away with the option would be preferrable. Thoughts?
    Happy to defer to you guys on this.
  • edited February 8, 2017
    It's probably better to just go cold turkey and remove the toggle. @adamsmith? I'd be happy to defer to you on this. :)

(we can probably just wing it and make style corrections as necessary based on complaints)
  • No, I don't think we can just wing it _after_ removing the toggle. We'll suddenly make hundreds of citation styles behave incorrectly and since they auto-update from Zotero, that'll go over very badly.

We should start fixing this in the styles and then give Dan a heads-up when we're ready.