Local server for multiple Zotero user

Hi,

I work in a small association and I would like to organize their knowledge database with Zotero.

There is already a local server set up, in wich everybody have access through the windows explorer.

I was thinking to install zotero on every computer (10) and just set the default library location on the server for everyone. Then, everyone would have access to the same files.

Could it work? Is there foreseeable bugs?
  • that won't work. You can't just place a Zotero database on a server (in technical terms, sqlite databases don't allow for multiple simultaneous access). Best case it just won't work, worst case the database gets corrupted.

Are there particular reasons you don't want to just use Zotero's server?
  • Hi, thanks for your (quick) answer.

I just wanted to avoid any fee for hosting the server, even though zotero is relatively cheap. It would have been easier to convince my boss ;)

Anyway, I think I will start with the 300mb free to see if people wotk with it.
  • I have a similar question: I work for NIST (a government lab) and we have rather onerous security restrictions. Among them, getting authorization to use 3rd-party-hosted services is *really* painful. Is it possible to run the full Zotero server-side on our own machines?

Thanks!
    Eric
  • It's possible (i.e. all relevant code is open), but it's non-trivial and there's no official support (and in any case you should wait until 5.0 which at least makes this possible without patched client software). There are some relevant threads on this in the Zotero dev group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/zotero-dev/
  • Thanks! Any suggestions for relevant threads?