"Please ensure that the file is valid" error and foreign languages

I've just started using Zotero, and it seems to work okay-ish. I have a fairly large EndNote 7 library (4,000 entries) that I am trying to import, but I keep coming up with errors. About half of these references are Spanish, and so have accented characters and the like.

The first problem is that the entire library does not get imported--only about 30 or so of them. I then get an error message that says: "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again".

The other problem is that using the RIS or Refer export formats, all of the foreign characters are imported as a little diamond with a question mark in the middle. The BibTex format works in this respect, but I still get the "please ensure that the file is valid" error.

Any suggestions?
  • I forgot to say that I am on Windows XP Home, with all the various updates, and Firefox 2.0.0.3.
  • Please send in an error report using "Report Errors" in the Actions (gear icon) menu after you get the import error, and post the Report ID here.
  • I'm having a similar problem. Zotero imports about 40 items (of 1000), and then I get the message "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again". The items that have been imported are often scrambled. Sometimes my notes will appear as part of the title, other times as part of the Publisher field. Any ideas? thanks.

[JavaScript Error: "content has no properties" {file: "chrome://firedoodle/content/firedoodle.js" line: 108}]
  • Error ID: 712419397
    The errors include similar JavaScript errors that appear to be conflicts with some other FireFox extensions, including SessionStore and something to do with one of the Google Mail ones (but I'm not sure which, as the errors are not specific). There is also some apparent conflict with one of my RSS feeds, the website I have open in the other tab, and:

[JavaScript Error: "not well-formed" {file: "(The file I am trying to import)" line: 1 column: 1 source: "@incollection{
    ^"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Date field must begin with SQL date" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 901}]

[JavaScript Error: "not well-formed" {file: "(The file I am trying to import)" line: 1 column: 1 source: "@incollection{
    ^"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Date field must begin with SQL date" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 901}]
  • I'm having the same problems, losing all of my research every day, since I'm not at a computer that will save my library (I'm using a public computer in my school). I can't explain how frustrating it is while working on my dissertation to lose all of the reference work I've done, do it again, and lose it again. HELP!!! Also, I've tried to send an error report, but I don't see that option in the gear icon. Am I using some off-version of Zotero?
  • jrrnyc-

It sounds like you're using an older version. You can check your version level by going to the Firefox menu Tools->Add-ons. Please download the latest release of Zotero from our home page. That said, how are you planning to save your library? Are you exporting it? Copying the entire Zotero directory to a flash drive?
  • Thanks, Sean. I updated the version of Zotero and re-imported, and it seems to have restored more of the entries--although I don't know if all of them are here. I have been saving my entries by exporting my library to my flashdrive at the end of each day, but I've been reading around this discussion forum and have seen that that's not the way to go. In another post, I requested an set of detailed instructions on how I should store my data, if someone has the time and knowledge to do so, and I'll add that request here, too, in case this thread has different readers. Again, I can't save my library on the computer, so I use a flashdrive each time. I found somewhere--now I can't remember--that seemed to allow me, once I created a folder on my flashdrive called "Zotero directory," to move that directory to the flashdrive--but I didn't move any files myself, so I don't know how effective it will prove to be. I think I'm on the right track, but instructions would help immensely!

Thanks!
  • edited June 21, 2007
    The errors include similar JavaScript errors that appear to be conflicts with some other FireFox extensions, including SessionStore and something to do with one of the Google Mail ones (but I'm not sure which, as the errors are not specific)
    You can ignore those. The errors that show up in Report Errors aren't necessarily related to Zotero. However, the ones you list above are related, and they point to either bugs in Zotero or errors in the import file (or both, since we perhaps need to be more forgiving...).

Mander/edavis: If you don't mind, please send a copy of the file you're trying to export to support@zo.....org, and we'll take a look. Thanks.
  • I've emailed the file to you a while ago, by the way. Any luck?
  • Hello. I have the same problem as Mander and edavis. I've just installed Zotero with the dictionaries add-ons and imported my libraries from EndNote - some of them are fairly large. My main problem is that I use references in multiple languages (mostly in English, Portuguese, French, German, Spanish). The exported files from EndNote are perfect; however, the collections in Zotero are all truncated - all characters with stresses were changed into weird characters. How can I solve that problem? Thanks.
  • Hello,

I am also having issues with a error message that reads "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again." None of the file that I am importing from Endnotes7 arrives in Zotero.

Error Report #: 110296575
  • What format did you export from Endnote?
  • I'm having the same problem. In my case, all I want to do is import individual entries from Bookends. I've done that before by creating a bibliography in Endnote (refer) format and then importing it into Zotero. It worked flawlessly earlier today but when I tried to do it again, I kept getting that message.

Report ID #741533045
  • Trying to import an EndNote Library. I have exported the enl as RIS and BibTex.

Here is what I see:
    [JavaScript Error: "No parameters provided for query containing placeholders" {file: "file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ncraig/Application%20Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/lwxxrt4b.default/zotero/translators/RIS.js" line: 0}]

I've used the report error tool. One of the Report ID = 565479489. The other report ID = 1615403826

I'm a long time EndNote user (>10 years) and interested in Zotero. Hoping to import my existing library.
  • I rolled back to Version 1 on a browser with another computer. The import ran fine, and was impressively fast. So far, this looks to be a really sweet plugin. I'm looking forward to integrating it into my research. Thanks to those who created this and are distributing it for free!
This discussion has been closed.