[5.0 Beta] Connector: Method ping failed with status 0

Zotero Connector for Firefox (4.999.5) fails to recognize Zotero Standalone even though I have the latter open.

Zotero Status under Firefox Add-on Manager shows that "Zotero is currently unavailable. If Zotero is open, see the troubleshooting page."

But when I access http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping as is suggested in the troubleshooting page, I get the message "Zotero Connector Server is Available".

Here is the log from Zotero Connector:

(3)(+0000445): HTTP POST {} to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping
(3)(+0000029): Connector: Method ping failed with status 0
(3)(+0000007): Message `Prefs.getAsync` has no callback arg. It should use the returned promise

I really don't have any idea how I can resolve this issue.

Zotero for Firefox (5.0 Beta) has automatically been updated to Zotero Connector for Firefox today and I hence migrated to Zotero Standalone accordingly. But it isn't functioning for me at the moment.
  • And it's the same after restarting Firefox and Zotero (not that it should be necessary)? That's a weird combo — if you can access that URL from Firefox manually, the Connector should be able to load it as well.
  • Yeah, it still occurs after having restarted Zotero, Firefox, and PC multiple times.

The problem seems to lie in my Firefox profile. I just tried with a new user profile and it seemed to work fine. I will look into this further.
  • (obviously first thing to check would be add-ons; I think better bibtex would have a very good chance of breaking this in current iteration)
  • > adamsmith

I think you're right. Based on the process of elimination, it appears that uBlock Origin is causing this issue. Will report back once I find a workaround.
  • edited January 12, 2017
    I solved it by adding * 127.0.0.1 * allow to "My Filters" in uBlock Origin. Thanks for your help!
  • If I may ask another question here, how come a snapshot of websites won't be captured when I try to save a random website (without a translator) to Zotero?

For instance, if I try to save this Zotero troubleshotting link for future reference, the item entry will be created in the library but not its snapshot.

It seems to work fine when the website is detected by a translator.

it appears that uBlock Origin is causing this issue
    It doesn't for me, at least with default settings.
    how come a snapshot of websites won't be captured when I try to save a random website (without a translator) to Zotero?
    It should be, as long as you're saving directly to Zotero and not zotero.org and you have the snapshot pref enabled in the General prefs. Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for the save attempt?
    Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for the save attempt?
    I just submitted a debug output concerning the issue of not being able to capture snapshots. Debug ID is D1989973048.

It is an output for an attempt to save this link directly to Zotero.

UPDATE: By the way, I do have the preference "Automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages" enabled.
  • It doesn't for me, at least with default settings.
    You're right. I found out that I had accidentally deleted the default entries from the Whitelist in uBlock Origin, which evidently led to its preventing Zotero Connector from communicating with Zotero Standalone.
  • edited January 15, 2017
    Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for the save attempt?

I just submitted a debug output concerning the issue of not being able to capture snapshots. Debug ID is D1989973048.

It is an output for an attempt to save this link directly to Zotero.

UPDATE: By the way, I do have the preference "Automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages" enabled.
    I tried with another Firefox profile but the same problem occurs with snapshots.

I submitted another debug output (ID: D886600695) for this. This time I tried to save a different website.

CORRECTION: I correct my statement above. Snapshots were actually saved for some of the attempts. I will investigate the root cause and will report back. I apologize for the confusion.
  • Ok, the problem was caused by EFF Privacy Badger this time. I had to disable it for the website I'm trying to save ("Disable Privacy Badger for This Site") in order to have the snapshot saved.

I'm not sure which program is causing this problem, but perhaps I can report this to Privacy Badger developers?