Zotero freezes LibreOffice Extension Manager

edited January 5, 2017
I am trying to install the Zotero LibreOffice Integration. The wall i keep running into is the LibreOffice Extension Manager freezing. Please help.

All versions are up to date, so i got LibreOffice 5.1.6, Firefox 50.1.0, Java RDK 8.111, Zotero Firefox Extension 4.0.29.16 and LibreOffice Integration 3.5.12. OS is macOS 10.12.2.

The installation wizard in Firefox returns the error that is mentioned on the troubleshooting page: “An error occurred installing Zotero OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice/LibreOffice Integration.”

So the first thing that freezes the Extension Manager is double clicking the file it shows me when i click manual installation. The same with trying to add that file from the Extension Manager.

Sometimes I get the Zotero task bar in LibreOffice, but it is unresponsive. In the Extension Manager it shows up, but with a little red exclamation mark and the message: "Error: The status of this extension is unknown." When i restart Firefox, it deactivates the addon.

Any ideas?
  • This is a known LibreOffice and OSX compatibility bug (which appears to only affect a subset of Mac users) https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99784

There is little we can do on our side of things, but you can post on their bug tracker or add yourself to the CC list, which should increase the attention they pay to the problem.
  • We've had reports of people with more success on the 5.2 version of LO, though, so I'd try that.
  • Yes, we've tested the extension successfully with LibreOffice 5.2.3.3, LO Integration Plugin 3.5.12, and JDK 1.8.0_112 on macOS 10.12.1.
  • edited March 20, 2017
    I solved this by installing JDK, and then removing JRE:

"Remove one directory and one file (a symlink), as follows:

-Navigate to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and remove the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin directory.

-Navigate to /Library/PreferencePanes and remove JavaControlPanel.prefpane. "

as described here:
    https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/mac_jre.html

Hope it helps.

• edited May 11, 2017
    Thanks a lot, people! i just installed 5.3 and the jdk (again, for good measure) and it works.
  • This looks like to be a permission issue.

When using my normal (non admin) account on Mac, I can see the Zotero buttons in LibreOffice but nothing happens when I try to add a citation. The extension manager of LO displays the error message ("the status is unknown").

So I reinstalled Java according to the instructions above. No change to the experience.

I reinstalled Zotero and LO using the admin account of my Mac. I installed the LO integration and gave permissions to all users on the machine. Now Zotero + LO combo works when using the admin account, but not when using the normal account ("the status is unknown").

To me this seems to be a permission issue. Somehow Zotero sets wrong/insufficient permissions for the LO integration plug-in.