Can't install extension for LibreOffice

Hi,
I just installed LibreOffice 5 on my Windows 7 laptop. Next I installed Zotero standalone. Now I am trying to get the Zotero extension installed for LibreOffice but having no luck. I keep getting the message:
Zotero OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice/LibreOffice Integration requires the Java Runtime Environment. Visit Java.com to download it.

First the link to Java.com in that message goes nowhere. So I went to an Oracle website and downloaded the latest JRE. Then I went to LibreOffice/Tools/Options/Advanced, Use a JRE check box is checked, it says a JRE is already installed, shows version 1.8.0_60.

I've restarted my machine, and still same result. Why can't I get zotero working with LibreOffice?

Thanks for any help.
  • java.com is a valid address, not sure why it wouldn't be working for you.

You'd need the 32-bit version of Java, did you install that? 64-bit won't work.
  • Yes, I probably did install 64-bit. I've decided to uninstall and try something else. thx for your time.
  • Same problem here. The link to java.com from Zotero does not work.

I first installed the 64-bit version of Java SE from Oracle and then the 32-bit version from Java.com. The former did not work, the latter did.
  • I see what's going on with the URL; I've proposed a fix for that, but not sure how quickly that's going to make it into the add-on.
  • Hi. Exact same problem. Zotero says my Java isn't installed/up to date when I try to install the LibreOffice plugin.

Windows 7 (64), Zotero Standalone 4.0.28.7, Firefox 42.0, JRE 32-bit v8 update 65, LibreOffice (5.03, uninstalled, installed 4.4)
    Installation sequence: Zotero Standalone (long time), then installed LibreOffice 5.03, then updated Java, then reinstalled LibreOffice 5, then deleted LibreOffice folder in appdata/roaming/, then uninstalled LibreOffice 5 and installed LibreOffice 4.4.

After all that (and after every individual step), I still get the error "Zotero OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice/LibreOffice Integration requires the Java Runtime Environment".

What next?
  • Do you have the java option in Libre Office activated? Which path/location do you see for your activated java version?
  • Yes, it is activated. Vendor: Oracle Corp., v. 1.8.0_65, Location C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_65.
  • odd. You've tried the obvious things? Restarting your computer, re-installing Word component from Zotero Cite tab?
  • You can also try to install and then select the 64-bit Java version in combination with newest LibreOffice 5 (64-bit). That is working for me here on Win8, Win10.
  • @adamsmith: Yes, yes and yes.
    @zuphilip: Thank you. That was exactly what Zotero deemed that I needed. I installed both Java 64-bit and LibreOffice 5 64-bit, pointed LibreOffice | Tools | Options | Advanced to the right Java folder (in Program Files, NOT Program Files (x86), and Zotero finally recognized LibreOffice.
    I appreciate both of your help.
  • Greetings again. I am on a new laptop and have tried to replicate last year's process to get Zotero working with LibreOffice, without success. Here's my configuration:
    Windows 10 64 bit, LibreOffice 5.2x (32-bit) UNINSTALLED, LibreOffice 5.2.3.3 (x64) INSTALLED, both JRE1.8.0_111 64- and 32-bit (64-bit selected currently), Firefox 50.0, Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.10, Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5.9.
    My problem: the Zotero Toolbar shows up in LibreOffice. The Insert Bibliography button seems to be working, but the Add Citation and Set Preferences buttons just sit there when I click one of them.
    I had problems with 32-bit LibreOffice/32-bit Java, so I uninstalled that and installed 64-bit LibreOffice.
    I've tried disabling, removing, adding back the Zotero extension both from within LibreOffice and from within Zotero. I've rebooted, reinstalled LibreOffice, etc.
    If I try installing the Zotero plug-in while (64-bit) LibreOffice points to the 32-bit JRE, I get the error message. If I try while LibreOffice points to the 64-bit JRE, I get no error message, but still the Add button doesn't respond.
    @zuphilip: I appreciate the documentation you added at ftp://www.daba.lv/pub/RakstuDarbi/atsauces/Zotero/Zotero_and_Java.htm. I have followed all your instructions without success. One thing I haven't been successful at is finding Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5.10 for Standalone. For Firefox, yes, but not Standalone. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Update: Because I couldn't find a later LibreOffice plug-in for Standalone than 3.5.9, I installed Zotero Firefox (latest version) and tried to update the plug-in to 3.5.12. Firefox said the installation was successful, but after both double-clicking on the Extension from Explorer, and re-installing from within Z4Firefox, LibreOffice still shows the Extension as 3.5.9. (Zotero unhelpfully does not show what version the plug-in is.)

I moved away from MS Word because their Styles are a nightmare. Now must I move away from LibreOffice because Zotero is a nightmare?

Help!
  • What happens when you click "Insert bibliography"?
    Forget about the 3.5.9/3.5.12 difference -- that's just on the Firefox side to ensure compatibility with newer FF versions, there are no changes in LibreOffice extension.
  • Okay, that's a red herring (version difference) I don't need to chase anymore. Thanks.

'Insert bibliography' works fine. This assumes, of course, that I'm in a document where I inserted references before Zotero broke. In a new document, I can't insert references so I get an error message "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."
  • Then forget about the Java/JRE version, too -- if insert bibliography works, the add-on talks to Zotero successfully and that's all the LibreOffice side of the add-on does.

One thing to check would be if for some weird reason the add-on bar appears behind other windows -- circle through all your windows after clicking the insert citation button (the add citation window will show up as a Firefox/Zotero window).

If that doesn't help, could we get an error report ID from Zotero after clicking add citation (https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems)
  • @adamsmith, no, the add-on bar does not appear at all, even behind other windows.

I have submitted an error report, Report ID: 4143363. I hope you can help!
  • One thing I forgot to mention in terms of troubleshooting: I downloaded and installed the latest version of OpenOffice, and installed the plug-in. Its behavior was exactly the same as LibreOffice - unresponsive "Add Citation" button. :(
  • This is weird issue you are having, because LibreOffice can talk to Zotero, but the citation popups won't show up. I have just tried the same exact setup and the citation dialog shows up normally when clicking Insert Citation.

The report does not show anything wrong. Could you produce a Debug ID (different from Report ID) for pressing the Insert Citation button in LibreOffice?
  • Okay, I turned on Debug Output Logging. With an empty LO document, I pressed the Insert Citation button repeatedly, but no output was produced. The same is true for the Edit Citation, Edit Bibliography and Set Document Preferences buttons. I did get error messages when I clicked Insert Bibliography, Debug ID is D246337852.

I opened an older LO document (created on my old laptop where Zotero was working) and got the same results, no debugging for those 4 buttons. But when I tried Insert Bibliography, I got a huge debug report the first time. I failed to submit it but I have saved it as a text file. The below text is the first few lines.

I expected I could get the same debugging output again, but after that first time, the output remained 0, while I (successfully) did things like Insert Bibliography, Refresh, Edit Bibliography and Remove Field Codes.

Text file available. Selection:
    [JavaScript Error: "1481121405641 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]

[JavaScript Error: "You must insert a citation before performing this operation."]
    etc.
  • edited December 7, 2016
    Right, so the debug output there does not have anything useful. It is as if LibreOffice is not talking to Zotero for commands other than Insert Bibliography.

Could you:
    1) In LibreOffice, go to Tools > Macros > Run Macro..., then select My Macros > Zotero > Zotero. On the right pane you should see the various commands. Does running "ZoteroAddCitation" do anything?
    2) If (1) doesn't do anything, could you produce the Debug ID, by closing all LibreOffice windows, enabling debug logging in Zotero, starting Writer with an empty document, clicking Add Citation button and then in Zotero again submitting the debugging output to server and posting the debug ID here?
  • By the way, I filed a bug report with LibreOffice but it was promptly closed as "notourbug", with the finger pointed at Zotero.

Okay, I did #1, and this is the output:
    BASIC runtime error.
    An exception occurred
    Type: com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException
    Message: [jni_uno bridge error] UNO calling Java method trigger: non-UNO exception occurred: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\PE70 6QE\AppData\Local\Temp\jna18386285935166689.dll: Access is denied
    java stack trace:
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\PE70 6QE\AppData\Local\Temp\jna18386285935166689.dll: Access is denied
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.load(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.jna.Native.loadNativeLibraryFromJar(Native.java:761)
    at com.sun.jna.Native.loadNativeLibrary(Native.java:685)
    at com.sun.jna.Native.(Native.java:109)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegrationImpl$CLibrary.(ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegrationImpl.java:27)
    at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegrationImpl.trigger(ZoteroOpenOfficeIntegrationImpl.java:92)
  • OK, so this is the relevant error: Message: [jni_uno bridge error] UNO calling Java method trigger: non-UNO exception occurred: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Users\PE70 6QE\AppData\Local\Temp\jna18386285935166689.dll: Access is denied

It's a Java Runtime error (so neither Zotero nor LibreOffice, to be precise).

Apparently that just "happens" occasionally on Windows. The first thing to check would be the permissions of that Temp folder -- your regular (non-admin) user account should have read/write/execute permission on that folder. If not, give the account those permissions.
    If you have those permissions or fixing them doesn't help, I've seen reports that deleting the folder (it will recreate itself as needed) fixes this.
  • Way cool! I fixed it using your first recommendation. Then I broke it by trying to set up a shortcut key (set it to the Insert Citation macro). Then I fixed again with the same method (the properties for the Temp folder had reverted).

I have two smaller remaining problems now:
    1. How do I set up a shortcut key without breaking it again? I got a macro error message when I tried using the shortcut.
    2. I only have the text showing, not the icons (Insert Citation rather than the picture). I'm afraid to disable it now that I actually got it working.

Many thanks.
  • Way cool! I fixed it using your first recommendation. Then I broke it by trying to set up a shortcut key (set it to the Insert Citation macro). Then I fixed again with the same method (the properties for the Temp folder had reverted).
    Chances are the permissions on the temp folder will keep reverting. This may be due to security software you run, the way you have your accounts set up, drives on a network share, etc. Not likely that trying to set up a shortcut would have broken that.

On the other hand, if you can't resolve it and keep on getting unresponsive Add Citation button, but Insert Bibliography works, then it is certainly the same permission problem with the Temp folder, which you will be able to rectify in the same way.
    I only have the text showing, not the icons (Insert Citation rather than the picture). I'm afraid to disable it now that I actually got it working.
    Was this the case always? If not, I'd start by reinstalling the extension and restarting LibreOffice.
  • I only have the text showing, not the icons
    FWIW, that is a sporadically occurring problem in the LO add-on. I believe there is a longer thread (I want to say about 18 month old?) with pretty reliable solutions, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to dig it up now.

• Hello,
    I'm using Zotero 5.0.34 and LibreOffice 5.3.7.2 (x64)
    I'm able to add books to the library, but not to add citations to my LibreOffice documents. When I click on the "add citation" icon in the Zotero toolbar, nothing happens. Same for "add bibliography". I've downloaded the latest version of Java today. I've also looked for answers on various forum threads but the answers are often in technical language that I don't understand. Can anyone help?
  • which operating system?