Inaccurate Article Details Extraction

So, let me try to make this clear.

I am using the Google Chrome connector to extract the details from an article in the Handbook of Clinical Neurology here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780702040887000821

However, when I do this, zotero extracts the editors as being 2 people but with the same last name. From the source page for this article page it says:

Handbook of Clinical Neurology
Volume 121, Pages 2-1828 (2014)
Neurologic Aspects of Systemic Disease Part III
Edited by José Biller and José M. Ferro

But, the extraction listed in the Zotero Standalone lists only one editor like with First Name "José Biller and José M." and Last Name "Ferro."

Can we do anything about this?
  • Not easily. We're grabbing the RIS export from Sciencedirect, which has
    A2 - José Biller and José M. Ferro

That should instead be

A2 - Biller, José
    A2 - Ferro, José M.

While it's possible to try to correct for thing like this, it's fraught with peril. If all book chapters had this exact format, it'd be quite easy -- unfortunately, that's almost certainly not the case, and so we're left with first having to try to guess if we're looking at this and if so fix it. Whenever we'd be guessing wrong, we'd break things.

Try reporting this to Sciencedirect and see if they get back to you. If we haven't heard back in a month or two, we can take a look.
  • Let me raise adamsmith's suggestion to a plea. Please do write to them but they don't make it particularly easy to do so.

http://help.sciencedirect.com/

Almost a year ago, I sent an email to SD about this and other metadata quirks. They didn't reply to the email or to the web-based messaging. About the same time I was at a library conference and talked with a couple of the SD representatives. They didn't seem interested. I pointed out the research that shows easy-to-cite references are much more likely to be cited than ones that are troublesome and that citations are needed for Impact Factor strength. That seemed to interest them but just a bit.
  • I sent them this message:

"To whom it may concern,

I have been experiencing issues with citation extraction from Science Direct. I use Zotero, a very popular and growing bibliographic tool. This tool reduces the barrier to academic honesty. There is a great need to improve academic honesty. It is difficult and time consuming for many to properly cite articles, thus taxing researchers. Tools such as Zotero make it extremely convenient to cite articles properly and with consistency. The recommendation I have will attract people to use Science Direct as a citation source. Also, it will make it easier to calculate impact factors.

Currently, listings for articles have been extracting with two editors as if they were one, see below*.

Reference page: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780702040887000821

Zotero is grabbing the RIS export from Sciencedirect, which has
    A2 - José Biller and José M. Ferro

That should instead be

A2 - Biller, José
    A2 - Ferro, José M

I would like to hear back about any comments you may have regarding this issue.

Respectfully,
    Kal Holyoak