Error when trying to change citation style in Word 2013

First of all ID: 1459068665

I have been adding a bunch of citations using the Chicago Full Note style to my paper but recently wanted to switch to the IEEE Version due to preferring [1] to a superscript roman numeral.
Unfortunately when I switch the Style to IEEE (or also f.e. Nature Publishing Group Vancouver, but not other Chicago styles) I get the following error in Word:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
An unhandled exception occured. [convertToNoteType:field.cpp]'An unhandled exception occured. [convertToNoteType:field.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::convert]"

Unfortunately I can't figure out what causes the problem exactly. I downloaded the styles from the repo.

Thank you for any help!
  • Most likely you have Chicago set to Endnotes. Switch to Footnotes first, than switch to IEEE.
    (Though note that, a) IEEE and Chicago are fundamentally different citation systems and b) that you can easily switch footnotes/endnotes to arab numerals in Word)
  • Well that was quick and it worked! Thanks for the tip about switching the numeral style!
    I was already afraid I'd have to do it all over again :)
  • I get the same error when trying to change from the German equivalent of "fields" to "bookmarks" within the same citation style, "Springer Humanities (author-date)" in Word 2010. Could anyone tell me what could be the reason please?
  • Do you have any citations in footnotes? I think that may not work with Bookmarks.
  • @adamsmith Yes I do, but I'm not sure that's the root of the problem: "Springer Humanities" is a pure footnote-citation style, and yet it leaves the user the choice betw/ fields and bookmarks. In turn, in "Geistes- und Kulturwissenschaften (Heilmann)", a style I used before, the field "bookmarks" is greyed out.

What's more, after I choosing "bookmarks" in Springer and receiving the error notification, some citations, all of which are in footnotes, actually do appear as intended, while others merely show "{citation}".
  • Can I ask why you're converting to Bookmarks in the first place? Because they will definitely not work in footnotes in LibreOffice/OpenOffice, so the main reason for doing this is moot.
  • I'd like to convert the Word file in question to LaTeX. For that I'll have to
    - convert it to ODT format first, and then
    - to a TeX file via the tool "writer2latex".
    And I have read that in the process of converting the file to .odt format Zotero fields will only be preserved when they are bookmarks.
  • yeah, but afaik writer2latex doesn't do anything with Zotero fields/bookmarks anyway, so you might as well remove them before converting (though obviously keep a copy of your document).
  • Apparently writer2latex can handle Zotero bookmarks, at least according to this post in this here forum: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/119162#Comment_119162

Apparently one needs a special exporting tool for creating the bib file. But before that I would succesfully have to create an ODT file that still has Zotero's information in it.

I get the feeling this is bit of a lost cause though; the supposed integration has existed for a couple of years now; if it worked well I'm sure Google would spit out much more links about Zotero/w2l integration.
  • So many people have had this problem and there is no solution in the thread. For those who, like me, come here and look for a solution: I found it in another post.

It is a very strange work-around but it works: You need to convert your citation style from "endnotes" to "footnotes." Then you can change it from footnotes to in-text.

I don't know why it works, but it did for me. I found the solution here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11050/cant-convert-footnotes-to-in-text-citations-in-word
  • FWIW, that's literally the first answer in this thread.