Updates in Zotero Database not showing up in Libre Office Plugin

edited September 29, 2016
Yes, so I have installed and reinstalled the LibreOffice plugin for zotero. Thus far the problem I a having is that updates in the database to not appear to show up in the word processor plugin. For example, I attempted to insert a citation that included Author, Title etc. The citation was lacking the publishing information. I quickly realized that this information had not been entered into the zotero database. However, even though I have updated the database, I still cannot get the plugin to cite all of the required information, and I know that the plugin can cite the necessary information because I was able to insert other citations with all of the appropriate information. Let me know what I can do.
  • Does the citation look active otherwise, e.g. is it highlighted in grey? Do you see some code when you hover the mouse cursor over it?
    Have you clicked the refresh button in the LibreOffice add-on.
  • Yes it is highlighted in Grey and there is a pop up bar that Begins "REFERENCE: ZOTERO etc" the refresh button doesn't seem to do anything.
  • Normally this would just work and it'd take a lot of troubleshooting to figure out why it doesn't in this case -- if that's an option, I'd just delete and re-insert.
  • what is it that I am deleting and reinserting? the Plugin?
  • no, just that individual citation -- or how often is that cited?
  • well I have deleted it a dozen times and attempted to reinsert a dozen more. When I insert the citation it does not reflect the updates that have been made to the zotero database.
  • What's the citation as you see it now? Which citation style?
    You're using the regular citation bar (the red box) to insert citations?
  • Thomas J. Sugrue, The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Post War Detroit, n.d. (this is the style that keeps inserting, Chicago Manual style also calls for the publishing information, yes I am using the red bar when it pops up)
  • And that's Chicago (full note with bibliography)?
    When you re-insert the citation, type the title or name of the author and then look closely at the search results:
    The top one will say "Cited" but you should see at least one under "My Library" -- pick that.
    (Explanation: Zotero stores reference data in your document. It normally updates that data when you change it in Zotero, but my guess is that you accidentally either deleted or duplicated the original item. While the new, complete one looks the same to you, Zotero has no idea it's the same item).
  • I don't actually see one that says "Cited" but I see My Library and the drop down under it contains the citation for the book just as it appears in the above post.
  • edited September 29, 2016
    And that's the only version of the item that shows up? And you're saying this works in a different document? How does the citation look there?
    Other items insert normally in this document?

I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense, so there's no easy answer. Please do take the time to answer all of those Qs; also see my question on the exact citation style you're using (Zotero has almost a dozen versions of Chicago Manual).
  • Chicago Manual Full note

does not work in a new document, citation looks the same,other items insert normally, but the point is moot.

I'm not sure what just happened, but apparently the plugin and database are back on speaking terms. I'm not sure why it refreshed all of a sudden. And I now see a Citation" drop down and "My library" drop down

I do have another question though. It is part of the Chicago style to give full reference the first time you use a source-- Author Title,Publishing ETC-- each citation after that can just use the author, abbreviated title and page number. Do you know how to switch between these styles without altering the first, full citation?
  • Zotero should do shortened subsequent citations automatically.
  • I see, but if you do two in a row it comes up IBID. Is there anyway I can just make it uniform--author title PN-- for each subsequent note?
  • there's an otherwise equivalent no ibid version of the style: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:chicago-fullnote-bibliography-no-ibid
  • Great, thanks so much for your help.