WebDav alternative?

I have WebDAV folders for WebCT (Blackboard) that I can access with explorer, but Zotero cannot access them. So for now, I cannot sync files to my laptop.

But could I just copy the Zotero database and files to the laptop via a usb memory stick? Is there some way to sync the files without using WebDav?

I will ask my college IT czar to implement it, but I think I already know the answer :(
  • How about putting your zotero folder (or perhaps just the storage subfolder) in Dropbox? I did that before using WebDAV, and it worked well.
  • Sounds good. How do you get Zotero to see it in Dropbox?Or, do you move it from there manually to where Zotero looks for it?
  • Since the zotero app and site handles syncing the zotero database, I just moved the storage folder into the dropbox folder. Then I linked the original storage location (in the zotero folder) to that new location. This would be done with a symlink in Linux or OSX, or a junction in Windows (which can be easily managed with NTFS Link

For something to do with the way Dropbox handles file change notifications (to trigger syncing), it has to be done this way round (ie. real folder in dropbox, symlink to that from elsewhere) rather than the opposite way.
  • It all sounds really complicated what you are doing here.

Perhaps I am missing the point, but why not use a Box.net account with WebDAV syncing?

the URL would be http://www.box.net/dav/zotero
    (note that https fails, this is a known Dropbox shortcoming)

All files in the current Zotero library will then be stored as ZIP files in the folder called 'zotero' on Box.net. I use a free box.net account just for Zotero.

I am sorry if my advise did not make sense :)

• Perhaps I am missing the point, but why not use a Box.net account with WebDAV syncing?
    Because the OP asked for a solution 'without using WebDAV', so I suggested what I used to do before WebDAV storage syncing was available.

If anything was over-complex, maybe it was my way of describing it ...
  • Sorry. I was avoiding WebDav because I don't have an account with webdav. I just got a free account at box.net, but I can't seem to get it working. I will keep at it. (When I try to set up the link the user and password don't seem to work. Not sure why.)