LibreOffice plug-in problem

I am trying to re-enable the Zotero/LibreOffice plug-in.
I am running Zotero Standalone 4.0.28.8, LibreOffice 5.2.0.4, on Mac OS X 10.11.6.
In Zotero, I select "Reinstall LibreOffice [etc.] add-in" from the Preferences pane. I get the error: "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice is closed, and then restart Zotero." Then I have to go to "manual installation". This launches LibreOffice's Extensions Manager pane, which just sits there with a spinning ball.
The problem is NOT a lack of Java, because I spent a couple of days of my time and IT support getting Java (1.8.0_101) working properly with LibreOffice. If I Force Quit LibreOffice, then restart and go to the Extensions Manager, Zotero LibreOffice Integration is listed with "Error: the status os this extension is unknown". If I click "enable", the Extensions Manager again just hangs.
  • a) you should update Zotero to the most recent version
    b) there is a thread on this forum where several Mac users report that JRE in LibreOffice doesn't work with version 100+, but does work correctly with version _91 -- I'd revert to that.
  • thanks for the reply.

a) I always keep Zotero updated via the "check for updates" command. It hadn't detected the latest update. I updated, but that did not fix the problem
    b) this fixed the problem.
  • I have the same problem--do I need to uninstall java _101 before installing _91?
  • pretty sure just installing the old version will do the trick
  • edited August 30, 2016
    It worked--thanks! I had to install JDK in addition to JRE but that's a known issue for LibreOffice.
    Also, Oracle recommends to uninstall other versions of Java, so I did that too.
  • Same thing happened to me.
    I am running Zotero Standalone 4.0.28, Libre Office 5.2.0.4 on Mac OS 10.11.6. Zotero is updated.
    I unistalled JRE, tried with JDK 1.8.101. It didn't work.
    Then I uninstalled JDK 1.8.101, installed JDK 1.8.91, selected it under Libre Office/Preferences/Advanced, went to the Extensions Manager and selected Ap/Zotero. And everytime Libre Office just stops responding.
    Why did JDK 1.8.91 work for you and not for me?
    Thanks
  • Try this: completely uninstall the Zotero extension from within LibreOffice Extension Manager. Close LibreOffice. Purge all previous installations of the plugin in LibreOffice directories (search for "zotero" in your user Library and delete everything relevant). I also restarted the entire laptop at this point although probably that's not necessary.Then add the plugin again from Zotero Tools->Addons.
  • Victory! It worked. Thanks!