Style Request: Journal of Linguistics

Journal of Linguistics uses the Unified Stylesheet for Linguistic journals, with two amendments:
The style is that of the Unified Style Sheet for Linguistics Journals (at http://celxj.org/downloads/USS-NoComments.pdf) with two main exceptions: (i) all page numbers are preceded by a comma – i.e. there is a comma rather than a full-stop after journal/proceedings volume number and page numbers, and (ii) dissertation entries specify the university after a comma but do not list ‘place of publication’.
Here's the required info for making this style:

Campbell, John L. & Ove K. Pedersen. 2007. The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success. Comparative Political Studies 40(3), 307–332. doi:10.1177/0010414006286542.

McInnis, Maurie Dee & Louis P. Nelson. 2011. Shaping the body politic: Art and political formation in early america. Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press.

ISSN 0022-2267, EISSN 1469-7742

JoL style guide

Using the Visual CSL Editor, it seems the first change is easy to make: (1) in locators-article, change the prefix of page-variable from . to , and then (2) in group > locators > if article-journal, change the suffix of the issue variable from ). to . (I hope that's correct!)

The second should also be straightforward but since the example references in the Visual CSL Editor don't include a thesis, and my knowledge of CSL has become rusty, I don't know exactly where to make it.

Here's what a dissertation currently looks like in the Unified Style Sheet for Linguistics Journals:

Yu, Alan C. 2003. The morphology and phonology of infixation. University of California, Berkeley PhD dissertation.

Here's what it should look like in the Journal of Linguistics:

Yu, Alan C. L. 2003. The morphology and phonology of infixation. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California at Berkeley.

Can a CSL wizard help me achieve these changes?

Thank you very much!
  • edited July 4, 2016
    Alternatively, how do I generate (or where can I find) the JSON-ified version of a dissertation reference so that I can play around in the visual editor myself?
  • Hallo mark, for thesis edition you need know the correct CSL variables for editing. You can see correct mapping Zotero variables to CSL variables on http://aurimasv.github.io/z2csl/typeMap.xml#map-thesis
    Variable "type of thesis" is mapped to "genre" variable
    University place is mapped to "publisher-place" (or "event-place")
    So you have to change subsection "thesis" in macro "issue" and also have to change macro "publisher" or involve "publisher" and "publisher-place" variables into part "thesis" in macro "issue" like this:
    <else-if type="thesis">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="genre"/>
    <group delimiter=" at ">
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </else-if>
  • (I'll try to take a look at this at some point, but no guarantees for when.)
    how do I generate (or where can I find) the JSON-ified version of a dissertation reference so that I can play around in the visual editor myself?
    If you just export a thesis in CSL JSON from Zotero that should do it.
  • Cool, thanks!
  • @mark
    Probably way too late for you, but for other users: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:journal-of-linguistics