web library search oddities

Web library search seems to perform oddly. Based on the following discussion:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/60501/does-sync-function-also-sync-the-index-data/#Comment_257625

1. a full-text one-word search on the website should bring up the same number of records as an "any" search for Attachment Content + Title + Author + Year on the desktop. Instead, I get 73 records in standalone and 74 on the web.

2. If have a tag that is only attached to notes, and I further delimit the above search by that tag, it should show 0 items (which is what I get, correctly, in standalone). Instead, in the web search, I get 35 top-level items if I perform full-text search after I already selected this tag.

3. I limit by this tag after the full-text search I get 301 top-level items, which is correct if not limited by any other search conditions, but the original search term still appears in the the full-text search field, making it seem as if it still applies to the found set.

4. Online search does not search notes at all--I guess that's intended, but why?
  • Dan, why did you ask me to write this up if you weren't going to reply? I'm very busy, writing this was just a waste of my time.
  • Hi Elena — not everything here gets an immediate reply, particularly if it's not time-sensitive, but it's still worth posting here and creating a record of issues you want fixed. We're finishing up a major release at the moment. When we next have time to work on search, we'll try to address these issues.

(Also, I asked you to start a new thread because your questions were unrelated to the other one, but other developers and community members participate in the forums, so I'm not the only person who can/would respond.)

Anyway, as for your questions:
    1. a full-text one-word search on the website should bring up the same number of records as an "any" search for Attachment Content + Title + Author + Year on the desktop. Instead, I get 73 records in standalone and 74 on the web.
    What's the word? Among other things, there might be a difference between the client and website with short words, or for matches on note "titles" (which are cut off at an arbitrary length that might not be the same on both).

I'm a little confused by your description of #2 — isolated steps to reproduce would probably be helpful — but I suspect #2 and #3 are just the same issue: tag filtering after search just does a tag search rather than filtering the search. fcheslack would know more about plans to fix that.
    Online search does not search notes at all--I guess that's intended, but why?
    As in the client, "Title, Creator, Year" doesn't search child items. It will find a word in the first line of a top-level note, same as in the client. When we add support for other search modes, child items will be searched.
  • Many thanks, Dan. It was a time-sensitive question for me at the time. Just a response (from anyone connected to the project) saying that the problem won't be fixed for a while is helpful. I have moved to iOS for writing and it is useful to know, from this thread and several others, that currently Zotero developers have no immediate plans to provide more support for the mobile platform. I hope this will change in the future.