Trouble using Zotero in Vista

Hi,
I have several times experienced difficulties using Zotero in Vista, The most recent experience has produced an error report.
Error report 2098687538

[JavaScript Error: "unlabeled break must be inside loop or switch" {file: "chrome://skype_ff_toolbar_win/content/nh.js" line: 453 column: 62 source: " if (str.charAt(i).match(/[^;=!@#$%^&*()_+/\\ ,.~`\"|:-]/)) break;
"}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 732" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 740}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 101" data: no] [QUERY: REPLACE INTO version (schema,version) VALUES (?,?)] [ERROR: attempt to write a readonly database]' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

Basically this particular error means Zotero will not open at all. I get an error message asking me to restart Firefox which does not seem to repair the problem.

However I have a second problem when trying to use Zotero in the past on this laptop. (Win Vista Ultimate SP1, Firefox 3.0.6, Zotero 1.0.9). It has opened apparently properly, but not allowed me to make entries. The fields allow me to type in but just stay open and will not save.

Because I am working between computers I use a copy of the Zotero database on an external drive which I link to the full version of Firefox installed on which ever machine I am using at the time. (There are three of them. The other two run Win XP Firefox and Zotero used this way and do so perfectly trouble free )

Help with both these problems would be appreciated.
Thanks JT
  • edited March 2, 2009
    Because I am working between computers I use a copy of the Zotero database on an external drive which I link to the full version of Firefox installed on which ever machine I am using at the time. (There are three of them. The other two run Win XP Firefox and Zotero used this way and do so perfectly trouble free )
    This approach is most likely the root of the issue. Can you upgrade to the beta release of Zotero 1.5? Zotero's new sync features were designed for exactly this sort of workflow.
  • I couldn't tell you what the exact problem is, but NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY indicates that Firefox isn't able to write to the drive. Make sure you can save to the drive from elsewhere in Vista.
  • Thanks Dan,
    With that information and some extra help this trouble is now shot!
    Exactly the same problem occurred today on my desktop computer at work as it was upgraded to a newer computer. Precisely the same error message and errors in loading entries. To cut a long story short, the problem was a 'security' problem. Vista on my laptop runs "users" separately from "administrators" as if they were in the same environment I have at work - ie users with fewer permissions and administrators with permissions for everything. The solution for both was to go to the external drive properties in administrator mode and to assign full rights to the subordinate "user" of that drive. Bingo! it all worked! The rights include "read' and "write". (I had to get an actual administrator to do it at work, but I can do this on my Vista laptop at home). I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.