banned from google scholar

It looks like I can't access google scholar. I ran a some "get pdf metadata" commands (under a hundred) and now google scholar says:

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
  • edited February 25, 2009
    I've had this a couple of times too. There's no way around it, but it will usually go away within the hour. If you can get another IP (for example by logging in on a VPN) that may help you temporarily, but if you feed to many searches to Google Scholar in too short a time, it will display that message again.
  • Ya, it took a few hours then went away. Its good to know if it happens again that it won't result in a longer ban. Is that your experience?
  • I haven't heard of anyone getting any sort of longer ban.
  • Yep, that's my experience - no ban has ever lasted longer than about an hour, even for the same IP.
  • This happens to me all the time. It looks like you can get about 400 bibliographic entries from GS in one 24 hour period. If you ask for more, you get cut off for a day. I have never gotten back on in an hour, but the next day is always fine.

Daniel Feenberg
  • I just got booted off Google Scholar after as few as 40 metadata queries. Excessively irritating, since my research involves using Google Scholar intensively.
  • Look at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6350/pdf-metadata-retrieve-by-google-has-a-query-limit/#Item_7
  • Im conducting a systematic research, and one of the strategies is to look for papers that cited some particular books. In two of them, more then 700 papers are in this criteria. I set google scholar to show 100 result in each page and started importing the citations to classify them, and after the second page I get the "we are sorry" result. The last two days I did at late afternoon, and I had to wait for the next morning. Is zotero doing automated queries? If I set the pages to show 20 results instead of 100, will I be able to avoid this message?
  • edited August 4, 2011
    Is zotero doing automated queries?
    Well, that depends on your definition of "automated", but you're telling Zotero to make hundreds of requests at once, faster than one could by clicking each in the browser manually, so sure. But this isn't really standard usage of Zotero. Some people use Zotero like this, but certain sites, most notably Google Scholar, will block you—and any properly configured site probably should, as a protection against denial-of-service attacks. Where they set the threshold is completely up to them, so I can't advise you on that.
  • Guys... post on this thread to ask for google to help zotero users with this problem...

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=0fee61a650860220&hl=en&fid=0fee61a6508602200004a9c2359e67cf

kind regards.
  • In my experience, clearing your cookies removes the warning (you get a captcha instead of a warning)