In LibreOffice, Zotero changes paragraph formatting to default

Using Zotero together with LibreOffice, Zotero has they annoying habit of reverting the paragraph formatting to the default settings every time I add a reference to the text.

For instance, I am working on a text using spacing after paragraphs and adjusted right margin, but after inserting a citation, the paragraph formatting is unadjusted right margin and no spacing after the paragraph.

Is there any setting in Zotero I can change to avoid this behaviour? (This behaviour seems to be absent when using Zotero with Word, which makes it look more like a bug...)

I am using the newest public versions of both programs: Zotero version 2.0.19.10, and LibreOffice version 5.1.3.2. The problem has been persistent over several updates of both programs.

Best regards,
Lars J
  • Thanks for the answer. I guess I have to use this solution (change the default style). It is not optimal, since I use different styles for different projects, but it will have to work.

Does anybody know why Zotero does not simply use the current format for references? Is it for technical reasons, or to ensure that the users most probable choice of format (the default/standard one) is used?

Best regards,
    Lars J
  • The RTF-format text that Zotero sends to the word processor doesn't contain any font information; it's all up to the word processor.

Here is a page on LibreOffice templates that might be helpful - I think document templates are the "right way" to efficiently apply specific style settings to different classes of documents from the get-go. I think Word has a similar facility.

https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Creating_a_Document_Template
  • Okay, so Zotero uses the currently active word processor style, it will only be the default style if I have not actively selected a style? (Just tested it with a different style, and it seems I have understood correctly.)

That makes much more sense to me, and I will simply have to define a style for my project and use that. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Lars J
  • I think that's right - footnotes get whatever styling is registered for the "footnote" style, ditto for "bibliography" (IIRC), and text is set in "normal" or "paragraph default" (I forget which).