Genealogy - Elizabeth Shown Mills styles

I would like to help establish a zotero Genealogy source style based on Elizabeth Shown Mills' style in her book "Evidence Explained".

I am new to zotero and CSL styles but I can program html and have a background in programming, although am just learning Java (my first object oriented language).

I have found that no native Mac program (I won't run Windows or its emulators of any sort) has ESM templates programmed into them. None of them have committed to it, so I set about programming all 170 ESM QuickCheck models (all three: List, Full, and Short)
in a standalone Fortran (the language I know best) program. I have made 170 x 3 markup
templates from her book, parameterizing all of them. I made a scheme of assigning values, from her book, to all the variables in the templates, and then wrote a Fortran
rendering program that takes the templates and variable definitions for a source, and
renders them in rtf. This program reproduces perfectly all of the QuickCheck examples in her book.

Next, I was learning Java to put a GUI in front of it, and was going to try to make
an idiot proof interface. But we all know how resourceful idiots can be.

Then I discovered zotero. The hard interface part (plus much more!) is already written. My contribution can be the parameterized (currently 531 variables) templates. These templates can be written in CSL. I am studying this, but perhaps there is someone reading this that could take my work and use it to create a CSL? Theoretically, it could be automated from what I have to a CSL, but I realize at this point substantial human intervention may be required.

I have been in contact with ESM and have her statement of terms for building something
on her work. Basically, to name a few: no claims that she endorses it, only state that it is based on her work, don't used the exact examples in her book (I did in my private test
case of my program, but won't distribute that), and that she gets a free copy of the program (not a problem here).

I think that zotero needs a new type, that of "Genealogy". Then a subtype something like "ESM Based ABC". I found a statement from ESM that her book follows the Chicago Manual of Style's "humanities style" (from University of Chicago Press) and not Turabian as some have claimed. (not that this means much to me at this point).

Is there interest here in helping me from what I have? I think genealogists all over the world will be grateful.

Short of direct help, I'll solicit advice on how to proceed with this myself.

I'd rather not share widely my parameterization of her styles, but will share them privately with a "vetted" (somehow) person or two that I have confidence would take my
work and create a public zotero style from it. I can even share my sample of all her book examples for their personal testing, as long as they don't distribute that (as per ESM's terms). I'll look here for recommendations and volunteers.

I realize this will only be a starting point for her styles, they will evolve, more will be added (e.g. she has many in her book that are not included in the QuickCheck Models
that I coded) but I think this would be an excellent start for making an interpretation
of her styles in zotero.

And then I/we can "work on" getting the Mac (and other) genealogy vendors to deliver an
API to the data in a zotero database (via the "keys"?). Then I can get back to doing genealogy! :-)
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • I'm perfectly happy to help with a citation style, but I have neither time nor willingness for anything that doesn't take place on a public forum.
    See here for instructions on how to ask;
    http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
  • Hi Adam:

I'm part of an _open_ effort to look at updating the file transfer mechanism for genealogy software. Our effort is called "BetterGEDCOM."

We have just started to look at the XML for sources and citations. I've posted about the Zotero effort. Will keep you posted.
  • I won't be able to help on data transfer - only on citation styles for Zotero (and Mendeley - they use the same) - but I'm sure there are others who will.
  • Hi Adamsmith:

Yes. I'm hoping our techs might see merit in working with this particular XML language.

As above, I'll keep you posted.
  • This sounds wonderful. When are you going to get started?
    Roxanne
  • Hi roxannebcb ...

The project is active now. It may take several phases to normalize the fields for, say, the array of U.S. and international census and different styles of parish registers.
  • This would be a GREAT topic for RootsTech!
  • Yes, colleengreene, it would be! --GeneJ
  • Unfortunately, the deadline for submitting proposals for RootsTech 2013 presentations has passed. See: http://rootstech.org/proposals Hopefully, someone will introduce it in Rootstech 2014. Maybe a booth or a shared spot in a booth in Rootstech 2013? Rootstech 2013 page is at: http://rootstech.org/home
  • Hi there lineagekeeper,

There will be plenty of opportunities at RootsTech 2013 to rally proposals like this. --GeneJ
  • I'd still like to keep this on the radar for Rootstech 2014.
  • Zotero was my software of choice in graduate school and I want to continue it for my genealogical work. Has any progress been made on this desire to get Elizabeth Shown Mills's style available in Zotero since these conversations some years ago? It really does need to happen.
  • I am continuing the question. Any updates?