Trouble with Syncing: Report ID = 1018719986

2»
  • 1) The .prop files are for file sync metadata. Nothing to do with item metadata or notes, which sync separately and are totally unrelated to this issue.

2) Again, an item's being "grayed out" has nothing to do with the presence of files or file syncing. That's just a function of whether the items match whatever you're currently searching or filtering for in Zotero.

3) Moving files around in Zotero shouldn't make any difference — that's relevant to data syncing, not file syncing. I suspect the only real difference here is your enabling "download as needed". If requests are failing intermittently, or due to something about the pattern of requests performed during a normal sync, then having them triggered when you try to open the attachment might make that sometimes work. I think that's causing you to see patterns that aren't really there.

For a file that's on the server, could you do a Show File, delete the PDF, and then provide a Debug ID for double-clicking on the file (which should trigger on-demand download)?
  • Thank you for reading all of my feedback and for providing the very thorough explanation.

> For a file that's on the server, could you do a Show File, delete the PDF, and then provide a Debug ID for double-clicking on the file (which should trigger on-demand download)?

Sure, I'll give it a try now and then follow up here ASAP.
  • The Debug ID is D1112908550.
  • At some point between now and my last post, the client downloaded the file from the server. I wish I'd tried that as needed setting sooner.
  • That's debug output for a sync, which isn't what I asked for. Again:
    For a file that's on the server, could you do a Show File, delete the PDF, and then provide a Debug ID for double-clicking on the file (which should trigger on-demand download)?
  • (Disable auto-sync while we're debugging this. It's possible it started while you were trying to generate this.)
  • Ok, because I was going to tell you that I followed your instructions precisely. I'll disable the autosync and follow up later today when I'm back in front of the computer.
  • Synopsis:
    1. Sync set to “at sync time
    2. Checked PDF attachment and verified it was present and able to be opened via double click
    3. Used “Show File” to find file in the OS file system and delete it
    4. Double clicked attachment and received the “Locate File” prompt
    5. Clicked the sync button, waited for it to complete, then double clicked attachment again, and received the “Locate File” prompt again
    6. Changed sync options to “sync as needed” and file was available within a minute or so

The Debug ID is D561033656.

Please let me know if this log gives you any insight. I'm going to leave all of my Zotero clients in “sync as needed” mode, since it seems to be working well.
  • UPDATE

I've found some additional instances where I receive the file-not-found/Locate error. I am fortunate to still have access to my older computer, which is where these files were originally loaded. So far, in every case, whenever I've opened the file on the older computer, usually, within a few minutes, the file will sync to the new computer.

Is there some way that I can do a touch of all the files on the prior system and force my local Zotero clients to check each one against the server and upload or download ones that are missing?
  • edited April 12, 2016
    "Reset File Sync History" in the Sync -> Reset pane of the preferences forces Zotero to check for any local files that are missing or out-of-date remotely and upload them, and vice versa in download-at-sync-time mode. (Don't use the other reset options.)

But note that the "a few minutes" thing (which you've mentioned a couple times) isn't how this works. Files that have been added or modified locally are uploaded at sync time — that's either when you sync manually or on an auto-sync — regardless of download mode. Files are downloaded 1) at sync time in at-sync-time mode or 2) immediately when you try to open a missing file that's available on the server in as-needed mode.

I can't think of any reason that opening a file on one computer would trigger an upload, unless the program you're opening it in is modifying the file. When the file timestamp is modified, it would upload on the next sync.

Of course, if the file is already on the server, then simply trying to open it in as-needed mode would download it and open it immediately.
  • edited April 12, 2016
    Well, I should add one other complication. Zotero doesn't check for all local file changes on every auto-sync, because that's a slow operation. It checks during the first sync of the session, on manual syncs, and at auto-sync for any files you've opened locally, on the assumption that you're more likely to have modified the file after opening it (e.g., annotating a PDF). But that still requires the file timestamp to actually change locally somehow. That might be what you're seeing, though.