Trouble with Syncing: Report ID = 1018719986

I set up Zotero on a new computer (Win 7, x64). I installed Zotero stand-alone. I tried to sync using WebDAV storage and received the following error:

Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()

Many of my attached PDFs are visible, but when I double click them or use the Show File menu option, I get the error:

The attached file could not be found.

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero.

I tried resetting the index, which didn't solve the problem. I tried installing Zotero for Firefox, and it did not solve the problem either.

I am able to download some of the attachments from my library on zotero.org, but not all of them seem to be downloadable.

I was going to try all of the suggestions at https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing, but before I do, I wanted to check here for advice because I'm concerned about performing the sync incorrectly and wiping out hundreds of hours of research or losing hundreds of document attachments, many of which will have to be repurchased.

Help will be greatly appreciated.
  • and you sure you have webDAV sync set up under preferences--> sync in Zotero? Because with that, you shouldn't be able to access any files on zotero.org
  • and you sure you have webDAV sync set up under preferences--> sync in Zotero? Because with that, you shouldn't be able to access any files on zotero.org
    Yes, I checked both my new and old computers, and both are set to webDAV. The reason I was able to see some of the files at zotero.org is because I'd reinstalled installed the zotero standalone on my old computer and didn't realize that I hadn't set up webDAV when it started to sync, thereby causing some of the files to be pushed to zotero.org.

However, both the old computer and new one both have webDAV configured now. Also, I checked the webDAV location for one of the missing files file by getting the directory name from the old computer, where the file is accessible, and the webDAV location contained a valid file.

Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?
  • Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()
    This is likely due to either security software on your system or something else that's causing WebDAV downloads to be interrupted.
  • If you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that fails, I might be able to tell you more, but if you're running any security software, try temporarily disabling it.
  • This is likely due to either security software on your system or something else that's causing WebDAV downloads to be interrupted. If you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that fails, I might be able to tell you more...

Here's the Report ID: 292544150

...but if you're running any security software, try temporarily disabling it.

Unfortunately, I'm running a work issued laptop where the security settings are managed at the enterprise level. So, although I have administrator privileges on the local computer, I can't change security settings. Also, many of the PDFs downloaded on the synchronization, but many others did not.

Could security settings be responsible with such a difference?
  • Debug ID, not Report ID, follow Dan's link to https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging
  • The Debug ID is D178155416.
  • It looks like you stopped that before there were actually any errors.
  • It looks like you stopped that before there were actually any errors.
    Unfortunately, when I synchronize now, the error is gone. However, I can still see file attachments, but when I click them or choose the Show File option, I receive the notice

File not found: The attached file could not be found. It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero.

However, all of the files are still located in my WebDAV location.
  • One more interesting observation: On my older computer, where I originally loaded one of the missing PDF attachments, when I open the standalone client, I can see the attachment and open it. However, the text looks gray, whereas the text of most attachments looks black.

Does that information help?
  • You can enable download-as-needed mode in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences to have Zotero try to download the item when you double-click on it, which may better allow you to generate debug output for the error.
  • Re: the gray, that'd just happen for any child item that didn't match your current search when its parent did.
  • You can enable download-as-needed mode in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences to have Zotero try to download the item when you double-click on it, which may better allow you to generate debug output for the error.
    OK. I gave it a try. The Debug ID is D138386550. I don't really understand the contents of the log file, but I did see where it tried to access the missing file and logged it.
    (2)(+0000002): Attachment file 'C:\Users\40125458\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0n74dgth.default-1459457212185\zotero\storage\VRN3BFG3\DJW189.pdf' not found
    When I go to my WebDAV storage and search for VRN3BFG3, there are two files there, one ending in .prop and the other in .zip. I was able to download the .zip file, and it contained the missing attachment.
  • It doesn't look like you have "as needed" enabled for the library you tried that in. Can you check again?
  • But maybe a better approach anyway, if you're not using "as needed" mode: in "at sync time" mode, making any change to the lastsync.txt file on the WebDAV server — you can change any character in the random string — should trigger checking of missing files on the next sync, which you could capture in debug output.
  • > It doesn't look like you have "as needed" enabled for the library you tried that in.

Normally, I do not use that option. I think I know what happened. I changed the option right before hitting "enable" debugging. However, I don't think that I hit "OK."

> But maybe a better approach anyway, if you're not using "as needed" mode: in "at sync time" mode, making any change to the lastsync.txt file on the WebDAV server — you can change any character in the random string — should trigger checking of missing files on the next sync, which you could capture in debug output.

I'll check it now and post back here. Thanks for spending so much time on this issue.
  • Here you go:

The Debug ID is D1179056696.
  • (3)(+0000004): HTTP GET https://****@****/dav/zotero/lastsync.txt succeeded with 200

(3)(+0000000): DHUadOOtxMJAjboxLEgyamvayGgPeO

(3)(+0000001): Last successful WebDAV sync was Thu Apr 07 2016 18:27:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

[...]

(3)(+0000000): Last WebDAV sync id hasn't changed for library 0 -- skipping file downloads
    That was two hours ago, so it doesn't look like you changed the lastsync.txt file, or the timestamp of the file wasn't updated on the WebDAV server.
  • I downloaded the file, deleted a character, and then reuploaded it. Should I try it again?
  • Check the remote file timestamp.
  • OK, I checked the remote timestamp, and it's precisely three hours behind my TZ, so I'm assuming that the WebDAV server is located somewhere in the PT zone.

Here's the latest id:

The Debug ID is D1585345511.
  • Invalid last sync id 'DHUadOOtxMJAjboxLEgyamvayGgPe'"
    Sorry, you actually can't delete a character — you have to just change one. It has to be 30 characters long.
  • Thanks for your patience with me. The log file appeared to be much bigger this time, and an error was generated. I hope that the information is helpful to you.

The Debug ID is D689899174.
  • Downloaded ZIP file not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage._processDownloadedZip()
    OK, that worked. Unfortunately it really doesn't give us any more to go on — it just shows that the first download request is being interrupted. (The .prop files are downloading fine, but not the .zip files.) That's likely due to either security software on your computer, a proxy/firewall, or a problem with the WebDAV server.

If possible, you can try installing Zotero for Firefox (which will share your existing data directory by default), closing Standalone, and syncing from Firefox. I'm afraid there's not much more I can tell you. You can try asking your IT department if they know of any reason why downloading ZIP files would fail.
  • > If possible, you can try installing Zotero for Firefox (which will share your existing data directory by default), closing Standalone, and syncing from Firefox.

I already had Zotero for Firefox installed, and I had it configured so that it and the standalone client shared the same directory. I also did another experiment that confirmed what you told me, namely, that the data about a citation is being synced properly, which assume is contained in the .prop files, but that the attachment files, which I assume are contained in the .zip files, are not being synchronized.

I used two different computers for this experiment.

Computer 1 = Older Computer
    Computer 2 = New Computer

Initially, I was noticing that files that exist on Computer 1 were not being synced to Computer 2. I wondered if files from Computer 2 would be synced back to Computer 1.

On Computer 1, I created a new citation ("Chemical fractionation and speciation modelling...") and added a PDF file to it, and then synchronized. I then synchronized Computer 2, and the new citation appeared there, with the attachments. However, the attachments couldn't be located. Therefore, I added a new attachment ("Wheeler...pdf"") to the same citation on Computer 2 and synchronized. The new attachment appeared to show up on Computer 1 after synchronization, but I got the "locate" error when I clicked on it. However, on both computers, any locally added files are showing up.

This problem did not start until I installed Zotero on my newly issued work computer and synchronized it.

1. Is it possible that the Zotero instance on my new computer somehow corrupted my WebDAV files or Zotero data?

2. Is there some way that I could test this, since I currently have access to Zotero on both the old and new computers?

3. Are there any additional things I can try, like exporting all data to an RDF, performing a file history sync reset, or pushing all data to the Zotero server or overwriting all local data from the server?

I submitted a debug report in case you want to look at it.

The Debug ID is D1173155162.
  • One more piece of data: Many (if not all--I haven't come across any missing) of the PDFs and various other attachments that were created on my old computer prior to me syncing with the new computer have synced to the new computer just fine. Does that information give you any additional insight?
  • Another insight: Many notes attachments that I created on the new computer have synchronized just fine to the old computer. The only missing files I have noticed so far are PDFs.
  • PROGRESS!

I think I may have found a reproducible bug in Zotero that exonerates my computers and WebDAV server. After noticing that notes attachments seem to synchronize just fine, I went to each of the citations above and verified that the attachments could only be located on the local computer where they were added.

Then, I added a note to each reference, but I did one note on Computer 1 and one on Computer 2, synchronizing each time after adding the note. After doing so, all of the other attachments showed up on all computers.

All though I have performed this trick only about 5 times, it has worked consistently every time. Also, the attachments that were showing up as "grayed out" are still that color, but they are found now. Finally, one of the PDFs opens just fine, but in the main pane, its icon shows as a snapshot icon and not as a PDF icon.

Is there a way that I can "refresh" all citations? Isn't that what a file history sync reset is supposed to do?

• A few more observations.

On computer 2, after moving an attachment from one citation to another and then synchronizing, all items that are grayed out start displaying normal black text, even on computer 1, after synchronizing, of course. Also, I have now found an example where even adding a note and resynchronizing does not fix the locate problem for a PDF attachment on computer 2.

Interestingly though, the attachment does not show up as gray text on either computer, but on computer 2, it could not be located. Also, even though the attachment could not be located on computer 2, when I moved it from one citation to another using only computer 2, followed by synchronizing computer 2 and then computer 1, there were no errors, and on computer 1, the attachment did move citations as well, and I was able to open it.

Does any of this make sense to you?
  • edited April 8, 2016

Even more major progress!

After changing the settings on both computers to be "sync as needed" and moving around a few attachments, it appears that I can now see all attachments on both computers.

Can you let me know if any of this information makes sense to you, and if you have any recommendations about which sync settings I should be using? Also, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can provide any more diagnostics.

I love the Zotero tool, and have used it for probably at least 7 years now, but this recent problem has caused me to have doubts about its ability to synchronize properly. I want to recover that confidence in the tool.