Firefox Multiprocess & Zotero?

Is there any clear indication if Zotero will work on multiprocess enabled Firefox? Been using e10s builds for a while and they are amazingly performant and stable - hundreds of tabs and fluid browsing.

Zotero so far does not work on these builds and it's the only thing that keeps me from fully switching to multiprocess beta builds.
  • yes it will. An early beta/preview should come out shortly
  • most excellent! thank you for the good work and I am looking forward to the preview.
  • Unfortunately, all the many changes in 5.0 are separate from e10s support, which will take a lot of work — and depending on Mozilla's exact timeline, that may need to happen on 4.0. But we're certainly aware of it and will support it before it's generally available.
  • (sorry, my bad, I misunderstood that).
  • e10s support, which will take a lot of work ... But we're certainly aware of it and will support it before it's generally available.
    Dan, I assume you've already considered sunsetting Zotero for Firefox a little earlier than planned*, so you can avoid having to support e10s and skip straight to the Electron-based app? The current Firefox ESR might be supported long enough to carry you over, no?

*https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/zotero-dev/yy4-q_ZUA4M/dcFYzCWTDAAJ
  • Supporting only ESR isn't really an option — I think that'd be way too confusing, and people shouldn't have to switch to ESR just to run Zotero.

It's possible that we could get just connector functionality working under e10s and migrate people to XUL Standalone (using 45 ESR) for now, but we need to investigate the current state of WebExtensions to know whether that's possible yet.
  • It's possible that we could get just connector functionality working under e10s and migrate people to XUL Standalone (using 45 ESR)
    Yeah, that's what I meant.