Italics

Very frequently I need to write in italics when entry a title of a reference. Can someone help explaining how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
  • It's (unfortunately) not yet possible to format titles. The open ticket:

https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/439
  • I've put a little patch on the ticket, as one way of addressing this issue.
  • I was wondering if this patch can be applied somehow, and where I might find how to do such a thing... or is this a suggested patch for future versions? I am just building my library and have a similar need as Nat posted.
    Cheers!
  • I can't speak for the Zotero maintainers, but they might be inclined to wait on actually implementing this functionality for the time being. The module in Zotero that handles citation formatting is currently being rewritten in a simpler form, and in the revised version it will be easier to add features like this. The patch that I prepared digs into some complex code, and makes it even more complex; including it in mainstream Zotero would make things even harder to trace in case something breaks.

There is certainly discussion about sub-field formatting, and this is on the list for future versions (there is a ticket for it). The first step will be to decide how it should work, and if wiki-formatting is okay, what the syntax should look like. If that's settled, you could use the syntax in building your database, although citations would not format correctly until Zotero knows about it.
  • Nat,

I am not sure how experienced in Zotero you are so I apologise if you already know what I am about to say.

I to have the need to italicise words in titles - scientific names actually. Essentially the only way at present to meet this need is to save the reference unformatted. Insert the reference unformatted in Word or OpenOffice, then use the edit bibliography dialog to change the format of text of each reference.

Unfortunately you have to do this for each document you insert a bibliography into. Hopefully, Zotero will be able to develop the functionality to store this data with the original reference.

Simon