Already cited articles not showing up anymore in Word

When citing in Word from my Zotero standalone, i have recently the phenomenon that the "already cited" category, which is usually at the top when searching for an article, does not show up anymore. I have just updated my Zotero recently.

Is this a change in the system or does this seem to be an error?

Best,
Dennis
  • That's certainly not intentional, no.
    Could you first test this in a new document, to make sure this is a general issue and not specific to one document? (I.e. just insert one citation, then search for the same author/title again, see if you see the item displayed under Cited)
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

I have tried it in a new Word document and with different citations and citation styles, and yes, it indeed stays like this. The "cited" never shows up again anymore.

My system:

Win 7
    Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.2
    Word 2010

all in German language.
  • Can anyone else reproduce this issue?

It is horrible since i have a lot of duplicates in my library and now if i cite, i do get duplicate entries in the bibliography since i do not know which one i cited before and maybe cite the duplicate instead.

Best,
    Dennis
  • I have also another akward behavior when adding a citation with the quick cite search in word. It used to have things in this order: cited, my library, group library

Now it does not show the cited section anymore at all. My library is first, then the group library and then again a section that is headed with "my library" but has less entries.

Dennis
  • I actually am seeing some weird behavior, but not quite what you describe. Could you test searching for the title rather than author of an already cited item? Do you get the Cited section then?
  • You are correct. Searching for the title instead of the author does help.
    Cited items then show up again.

Also, the akward behavior of having the "my library" and the group library twice or so does not happen when searching for the title.

Will this be fixed? It seems that it has come with the latest update of the standalone version.

Thank you so much for the support

Dennis
  • It's certainly not intended, so yes, it'll be fixed but I currently can't give you an ETA for a fix.

@Dan -- any idea of how this could have happened?
  • Okay, great, thank you. Its good you guys have it on the screen now and that there is a workaround with searching the title, which is a bit more work but it is a workaround at least.
  • (cross referencing: I think the regression happened here: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/commit/7d404e8d4ad636987acfe33d0b8620263004d6d0 )
  • This is fixed in Zotero 4.0.29.6, out now for Firefox. (A Standalone version with the fix will be out soon.)
  • Great, thank you Dan and Adam!
  • Are there any news on the date for the standalone version with the fix?
  • Sorry to bug you, but are there news on the fix?
  • This is fixed in Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.10, available now for Windows and Linux. (A Mac build is delayed while we debug an issue on older Mac OS X versions.)
  • Great, thanks Dan.
    Searching for a Author does now seem to work and bring up cited ones.
    However, there still seems to be some errror.

I have my library and one group library.
    It often does show in this order:

Cited
    My Library
    Group Library
    My Library
    Group Library

It does not seem to show the same hits in both librarys twice but some mixture.

Best,
    Dennis
  • Can you take a screenshot of that, upload it to a free file-sharing site (e.g., Dropbox), and post a link here?
  • Sure. I have made two screenshots so you can also see the rest when i scroll down: http://www.filedropper.com/unbenannt-1

Best,
    Dennis
    PS: My library has about 12000 items and searching is also pretty slow in this place even though i have a fast computer and ssd.
  • It seems like (in your case) publications with the search term as first author are listed separately? Does that fit with your observations?
  • I have made some experiments. I cannot completely make clear what it does.
    The effect you are suggesting that publications with the searched author are listed seperately for the different libraries whether its a first author or not seems to be true for some.

On the other hand for other authors it seems to not even find the articles where the searched author is not a first author and then it only lists each library once with the articles where she is first author.