Syncing of styles..?

Hi all,

I've been using the zotero sync preview ever since it was released, and the latest versions had fixed pretty much all of my odd large upload/download sync problems. Now I'm starting to use it in earnest.

However, one thing that has occurred to me a couple of times is that the sync feature makes it very easy to switch between machines and continue working on the same paper, with all references etc. intact.

However, if the styles are not present on all machines, when I try to edit a reference I am first prompted for a style and of course my document is re-formatted.

So my question is: is it, could it be or would it be possible to sync styles between machines - either as a part of the database sync, or file syncing?

To me this would be the "icing on the cake" :)

Regards, Mark
  • However, if the styles are not present on all machines, when I try to edit a reference I am first prompted for a style and of course my document is re-formatted.
    Could Zotero prompt to install the style from the repository? This would cover most common cases.
  • I would also really love to see this feature! It would bring Zotero even closer to perfection. In the meantime, I am using the following workaround: I made a "Styles" collection in Zotero where I put the .csl files for all the styles I am using. If I go to a new computer, all I have to do to install one of these styles is to drag the file from Zotero to the browser window. The big advantage of this is that it also works offline.
  • A related request: we are using Zotero in a group and would like to share some modified styles amongst ourselves. I am aware that I could either (1) just email the style file to everyone and to ask them to install it manually; or (2) submit the style to zotero and hope they make it public. But it would be more efficient if we could share styles automatically within the group. Would it be possible to organize styles in a similar way as reference, i.e. that you have public styles (from the website), group styles (automatically as you join a group) and personal ones (which you have to load manually). This would address the above.
  • I also agree. This feature would be great. Installing all the styles every time you install zotero is a bit of a pain. Alternatively, it could be good to have "style packages" for different fields that could be downloaded from the website. For instance, "neursocience styles". You download the package and you get all the styles that you may need for your research. Is not that styles take so much space anyway, installing a few more than what you need is totally fine.